Cast Away Questions

rodbuilder

What is the draft of the Cast Away at 250lbs?

4 inches

Can you do a wet re-entry into this boat?

It's possible with any boat if you use the right method. In this boat I am not sure what the method would be. I haven't tried it in mine but I have thought about it a good bit. The large open cockpit could lead to a lot of water inside .  So I would strongly recommend float bags and a pump and bailing bucket. If it is full or water it would to be very hard to get in. You have to get the water out first.

A lot will depend on you and how you rig the boat. If you have rod holders and a milk crate in the back  your not going to do a cowboy entry. The boat is wide enough it might be hard to sit straddle of it.

If you are try coming over the side it may pull the Gunwale under water. So I am thinking that a paddle float might be a really good idea for this boat. You will need a to rig something to tie down the paddle.

So may answer is yes but you will need to practice it and learn how in controlled conditions so you will know exactly how to do it if you ever need it. Of course this is true with any kayak. 

What is the best seat for this design?

That is a personal choice. I use a Redfish minicell seat out of one of my other boats along with a backband. But there are a dozen other ways you could put a seat in there. It's really just a personal choice but I do love the Redfish seats.