Hydrotek marine ply

mitchell ross

What can anyone tell me about Hydrotek marine plywood?

I've done a little research and it seems that 'Hydrotek' is the manufacturer(?); it conforms to BS1088; the face veneers are Meranti; it's heavier than Okume; and it's a lot cheaper than Okume. 

I'm looking at $110/sheet for 4mm x 4' x 8' for Okume and $27.50 for the same in Hydrotek both delivered.

What's the deal?

Anybody use this stuff?

Mitch

I built a Joel White Pooduck out of that stuff.

Short answer; I liked it.

The faces were ok, but not great. If you looked closely, you could find putty where the grain was rough. I would not mind finishing it bright, but don't expect a show stopper. Okoume just looks better. I ripped plank after plank for the boat, and never encountered a void. I learned to wear gloves, though. It is splintery stuff. Also heavier and stiffer than okoume.

However, I have seen it easily outlast okoume up here in the northeast in a little experiment that I ran outside for a couple of years. No contest, really. But if you maintain a barrier, either with paint or varnish, either is long lived.

I'm used to the stuff, now. My next boat will be built with the meranti.

OK, I'm confused.  Do I understand correctly that the common types of marine plywood are: Okoume, Meranti, and Hydrotek which is faced on both sides with one ply of Meranti.  (Okoume and Meranti are the names of trees from which the wood is cut,right?)  So Scott, when you say Meranti are you referring to the Hydrotek product or just simply marine ply made from the wood of the Meranti or Phillipine mahogany tree?  Or is my brain addled from two days in the dentist chair?

Hydrotek is a brand name.  Okoume and Meranti are the common names for 2 different woods.  Hydrotek is made with Meranti.  There are other brands of Meranti plywood.  BS 1088 is the standard you want regardless of which wood you choose.  Okoume is lighter and bends easier.  Meranti is tougher and stiffer.  It is all a matter of the characteristics you want as to which you choose.  There is no better or worse.

• Like 2

If Meranti was the higher priced I would still chose Meranti. NOW that said if I was building a light delicate boat there is nothing out there that will compare to Okoume. But if weight doesn't make a big difference, the Metranti is a lot tougher. The opinions are very great in this subject and I definitely am not a know it all, but Meranti takes a lot more abuse. It doesn't bend quite as good as Okoume but really not that much different.

You can always compromise and use light where it wont get much abuse and tough where it needs to take the abuse. That's exactly what I'm going to do on my new 28, I'll use Meranti on the decks, but Okoume where it doesn't matter.

Our designer doesn't like unnecessary weight and I understand where he's coming from.

Like all opinions, keep the meat and throw out the bones! :rolleyes:

Scott

I'm from a little different breed, I like comfort and durability over performance any day. :rolleyes: Of all of Grahams designs a few extra pounds won't make that much difference I would notice. But I could care less about racing. My Belhaven came in at about 150 pounds heavier than Graham intended, because I used Meranti, a little more ballast and a few more braces. I was never disappointed with the performance. But I never raced my little cruising boat, just enjoyed her. :)

Thanks for the feed back.

Has anyone used the meranti on one of Graham's small canoes or kayaks? I used okume on a Flyfiher and had a little trouble with bending and splitting. I think that was mostly due to winter dryness in my shop. But after hearing the meranti is stiffer than okume I worry about making those bends. I will be building a Mocassin 2.

Mitch

There were sections on the Pooduck that were a tough bend, and took some real convincing. 3/8" (or the equivalent in mm.) does not like a sharp bend. The meranti certainly did not split, however. Okoume would probably adapt to the curves better. I built a kayak out of the stuff, (1/4") and it was very flexible. Almost floppy in comparison.

To reiterate, I prefer meranti, but okoume is more flexible, and it looks better finished. Just keep it dry with a well thought out finishing plan that will reliably block water engress.

Longevity matters. Meranti is moderately rot resistant. Okoume seems to have little resistance to rot, at all. If you build with okoume, seal with something like CPES. Which, of course, adds weight.

All builds should be sealed, but I use regualar epoxy, not CPES.  I am not looking for penetration, but a layer.  And epoxy bonds so well to virtually impenetrable materials that soaking in is not necessary to achieve a good waterproof seal and bond.  As a matter of fact, thinned epoxies are not as waterproof nor do they build up a layer as easily or quickly.

CPES is a marketing tool and virtually useless, if you employ proper encapsulating techniques. Tests have shown (repeatedly) it's not penetration that's important for water proofing, but the quality of the coating. CPES, is NOT waterproof. In fact a good quality single part polyurethane paint is more waterproof than CPES! Even polyester resin is more waterproof than CPES and anyone that's replace production boat transoms, soles and stringer knows how well this stuff works on wood.

Meranti is a little tougher to bend than okoume. Rot resistance is moot in an encapsulated structure, both work well if done right and both rot if allowed to get wet for long. Meranti's impact resistance is also better then okoume.