Princess Sharpie from 1867!!!

Garry

I googled and found this caption The "Nettie", an expedition boat on the Truckee River, western Nevada, in 1867.

Here's a link to a series of photos from the old west by Timothy O'Sullivan - scroll down to #24. There is only one other image with a boat.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/05/the-american-west-150-years-ago/100304/

Here's a Smithsonian video about O'Sullivan.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/video/The-Photography-of-Timothy-OSullivan.html

I built a 17' cat ketch, Wm. Atkins design called Aunty Helen, that looked a lot like that boat, but of course no cabin. The sail plan showed about the same relative sizes between main and mizzen. Loose footed sails on standard booms and laced to the masts. Most fun boat I ever owned. I should never have sold her:)

Really a very beautiful boat.....

Its always the same. The boat you just own is always to small or has other things that (you think) could be better. Then you sell the boat, buy or build a new one,.....and so on. And then you come to the point where you remember your old and mostly smaller boats and you KNOW the smaller one was the boat you had the most fun with..

When I learned sailing I was 5 years old. We had an wooden (mahogany/oak) open boat around 17ft. We slept under the tent and everything was quiet simple. We owned other boats in our family after that up to 45ft. I formyself had a 24ft boat with a draft about 5"3'. After all, the boat and trips I mostly remember and the feeling Im looking for was that on the smallest boat.

My Belhaven will bring me back to there I believe. She has the size that is just enough for coastal sailing and she has the comfort that will be good for me now, because Im older. A dry bed and the possibility to have confort on anchor while dreaming, listining music, reading, cooking, eating, loving....

Go on for that small boats....;-)