Curlew trouble

Joe Feager

After getting a good start I was pretty happy.  Then I started inserting frames.  Gunwales and keel stay nice and fair until I insert frame 5'4".  See the pic's.  I have checked frame 5'4 and 4'4 1/2 and they are almost perfect.  I found on my paper where I marked 1 15/16 instead on 1 13/16 on one side only.  I"m thinking I can overcome that without a new frame.  Hopefully you can see how the keel is not fair any longer and in the other pic the gunwale is pushe up off the notch on frame 4'4 1/2 when frame 5'4 is inserted.

post-2922-0-51938200-1360178157_thumb.jpg

post-2922-0-26609800-1360178163_thumb.jpg

Pride goeth before my fall.  But, if that is the worst that happens I'll be OK.  All in all it's just a minor setback.  Everything is all set to slip it in and then put on the hull stringers.  I had saved my graph paper sheets so it was easy to make the change and then use it as a template. 

I built a Curlew and a Freebie 12 from the offsets.  While it was amusing it has little to noting to do with building.  It is the tedious process of plotting a lot of coordinates, connecting the dots and adding some curves.  it is an accomplishment of sorts, but is not really a measure of building skill in my opinion.  I will be buying plans from now on, making patterns and paying royalties for future builds of any given design.

Years ago I lofted one Nick Schade's designs using Excel and a cheap CAD program I had. Never built the boat. Don't have CAD now nor a plotter so it had to come from the book or order the plans. Having started out with Log tables and the old Trig tables this wasn't hard. I still remember Mr. Vickers from drafting class. He'd put an eye on my curves and mark up anything straight no matter how short. The plans are the way to go next time, but always remember, you shouldn't use a formula unless you know how it was derived.;). It's been fun so far, back at it again tomorrow. Unless I go for a paddle.