fishman38 OK20

Fishman38

I am not sure why you added the last statement.  It seems that would not figure into the 1st question.

I will go out on a limb here.  I epoxy everything.  I only use screws where Graham calls for them specifically.  I think they do not provide more strength and are potential for movement and eventually rot. On a deck for instance it seems like a great place for water to settle and eventually work its way into the screw area and cause rot.

I am sure others out there will not agree with me but it is my opinion based on a lot of reading and building a few boats which are still around and functioning.

dale

"On a powered boat with fuel tanks going "below decks".

Hey Dale.  I am installing only  a 25 gal tank initially and, thinking there may come a time I'll want to use the boat some distance offshore and may want to add fuel capacity.  I was thinking about using screws  to fasten a section of the sole down over where a second tank would go to make it a little easier to add.  And maybe even over both tanks in case of problems down the road, all depending on the replies I got.  Graham scuttled those ideas.  I'll either add the second tank now or expect to cut away part of the sole later if need be. 

I fully agree with the concept of gluing for the purpose of structural integrity.    I also agree generally with the "no screws" idea.  So far the boat has only one screw n it and that is sst 1/4 x 2" I think it is, that was used to fasten the transom to the keel, and is embedded in epoxy.  And maybe one or two broken off drywall screws that proved virtually impossible to remove without doing more collateral damage than I wanted to deal with.  They too are enveloped in epoxy.  I'm just now starting on the interior and assume I will have to use screws to fasten some of the stuff.  Thnx for your interest.

Jerry

• 4 weeks later...

Jerry Hall added 9 new photos.

1 hr ·

A few pictures to show what I've been doing for the last couple of months with a 3-4 wks to go on this phase.

This is the phase that when you build your boat you'll want to hire a grunt to do this part.....a small grunt that can work at floor level while standing on his(her?) feet.post-2179-0-86992400-1421722233_thumb.jpgpost-2179-0-46824100-1421722261_thumb.jpgpost-2179-0-17923600-1421722293_thumb.jpgpost-2179-0-15420500-1421722321_thumb.jpgpost-2179-0-10986600-1421722350_thumb.jpgpost-2179-0-99677700-1421722379_thumb.jpgpost-2179-0-31561000-1421722409_thumb.jpgpost-2179-0-91397900-1421722435_thumb.jpgpost-2179-0-21919200-1421722462_thumb.jpg

I feel your pain.  I am also building the Ocracoke 20 and I am very close to finishing this phase of the boat.  I've decided to put seats in the back of the boat instead of having the well.  I cut that panel out today and just have that section left to glass.  It will be much easier getting to it now that I have removed the panel.  Give me a couple of days and I will post some pictures.

Hey Trev.  I am using the mix that Graham sells which I understand is his own proprietary recipe.

Looking forward to the pictures Bhill.  I haven't yet decided exactly how I'm going to use the space aft of #8, some type of storage, maybe an ice box.  One of my original concerns was the strength of the transom and what convinced me that it was probably more than adequate was the (sort of) honeycomb effect provided by the partitions Graham designed into that area. 

By the way, in the picture middle row far right sits a container with a brush standing in it.  For anyone out there who uses diet supplements, ibuprofen by the handful like I do, etc, those pill bottles made of a rather heavy duty white plastic (PVC?) make wonderful mixing containers.  I cut the top (neck) off using the band saw, de-burr them and use 'em over and over.  Tough as hell and have a smooth, relatively flat bottom without the sharp corners found at the bottom of most plastic cups.  Round over the corners of the mixing stick and the combination works great.  All sizes.

Below are before and after pictures of cutting out frame #8.  I will add seats in the back that will tie into the transom giving it strength.  Had a guy measure today for a custom-made gas tank and hope to hear back from him in a few days.  I will post pictures as things progress.

post-819-0-76285100-1421890388_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-59637900-1421890478_thumb.jpg

post-819-0-15722700-1421890541_thumb.jpg