fishman38 OK20

Fishman38

Fishman38 looks beautiful!!!!!!!!!! You are nearly ready to flip. That is a great milestone the flip.The boat gets a whole new look. There is still a long way to go after but at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it is not a train. What color are you painting her? What paint did you select?

Can'y wait to see it painted.

PG

Thanks for the nice words PG.  She is indeed ready to paint and that will be done in the next couple of weeks after some family obligations.  She will be grey below the water line  assuming I can find it, white above, and probably grey bump rails.  I decided on Blue Water Marine brand based largely on one supplier (RAKA) making Graham's list of recommended suppliers, and BW's claim that their topside Mega Gloss Gold silicone copolymer enamel lasts "five times longer than conventional topside paints".  It was a crap shoot for me and I made the choice and ordered it before most of the stuff on the "Painting" thread showed up,  Not that I would necessarily change the decision.  Claims of ease of application was also a factor.  They say brush, roller or spray works.  I have both air  and airless paint shooters and am thinking of rolling on a couple of coats of primer, sanding after each and spraying one (or should it be two finish coats with (probably) airless sprayer.  I welcome any and all suggestions/ recommendations.  Paints and painting ain't far removed from rocket science for me.  Too much chemistry involved.....my worst subject .

I set the waterline and primed my hull. I need to overlay the deck glass and finish fairing along the deck. I put a barrier coat on the bottom because it makes a good primer for the bottom paint and it can't hurt. I am putting the finish bottom paint on later. No rocket science in painting as always it is in the prep. I roll and tip because it is easier than all the cover up. My friend has a large spray booth and depending on the timing I may be able to go in there. If so I will spray it. Just read the directions carefully use the right thinner and you will be fine.

PG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been struggling to learn how to (spray) paint, using a new Central Pneumatic, HVLP gun.  Couldn't get the gloss finish I expected 'til coat number four.  Problem seemed to be pressure too low, resulting in not enough paint.  Jacked psi to 60, 10 psi over gun rating problem solved I think.  Added coat no.5 for good measure.  I'm talking about the bottom gray.  The white is still one coat of white primer.

Hope the couple of pics upload.  Reduced the size to smallest possible.  We'll see. .........................seems to have worked.  I'll try to find an optimum size that works........later.  .................Still later:  Resized the pics to 49.7 kb (640x480) which seems to be a nice size for the purpose.  Guess one should occasionally reread the rules: "Max. single file size:2MB"  Had not noticed this before and in the normal mode my camera makes (about) 2.5 MB pics.  ..............Ooops.  Looks like I posted the same picture twice.  Maybe this is better.

post-2179-0-41050400-1403614860_thumb.jpg

post-2179-0-30270700-1403667963_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It looks great. If you are still planning to roll and tip ( I can't tell if you are doing that for finish coats), here is my tip: 

the thinner the paint, up to the directions on the can, the better. I did three coats and each one got better. The first one was not thinned and the paint did not level out but kind of stayed right where the brush left it, but each subsequent coat was thinner and better. When thinned up to the 10% allowed, the paint was almost watery and leveled right out.

good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, I've been sort of stalled out in the painting process plus a 10 day sabbatical for a fishing trip.  Since returning have been prepping for one more -final I hope-coat which will go on today. 

LennieG I've sprayed on three coats so far and have had terrible problems with runs, aka sags, drips & errors!.  I'm going to try some things today with the spraying and if I'm not satisfied with the results will roll and tip this next coat.

She's still bottom up SteveVa, hoping to remedy that in the next couple of weeks.

Finally done with painting the hull, provided I can get her flipped without damage.....The motor home beyond the trailer belongs to a neighbor.

Also finished painting the trailer this morning.  Hoping to not have to open another can of paint for a few weeks!!

Starting to build the frame and cradle to protect her as she's flipped, which I hope to take place in a little more than a week. 

post-2179-0-15736500-1406479480_thumb.jpg

post-2179-0-59861000-1406479506_thumb.jpg

post-2179-0-05809500-1406479534_thumb.jpg

post-2179-0-76544600-1406479560_thumb.jpg

Looks fantastic.  Bet your bustin to turn it over.  Should have mentioned this,but never thought about it.  Your waterline looks excellent.  However an optical illusion occurs when you put the boat in the water.  If your water line is level, it will appear to droop towards the bow.  I raised my waterline about 3/4 of an inch at the stem and ran a batten back, or aft 5 or six feet to the real water line.  So the water line actually rises to the stem.  Just a trick I have read about.  The boat looks great.

Dave