Outer Banks 20

Ronny B

Hey Trev, I'll take a couple measurements for you next week.

This weekend, the the deck pieces, cabin and pilot house sides were all hard mounted to the OB20.  The floor is dry fit, and I imagine it will stay that way until fuel system, bilge pump, toilet, storage compartments, and a bunch of other stuff is figured out.  Two laminating jigs were made for the cabin beams and the pilot house beams.  I should be able to make one of each every evening this week.  

I have a bunch of clear cedar and purple heart cut-offs from our wood shop that could be used for the cabin and pilot house tops.  I'll see how it looks and then make a decision. 

Regards,

Ron

post-2825-0-73421400-1370821037_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-06531000-1370821108_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-66015500-1370821171_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-90066300-1370821261_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-50551900-1370821290_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ronny, I got my companion c/d yesterday in the mail and it has some great photos of a previous build on it which helps out also. Also, I picked up a copy of "Boat Design Quarterly" (No/42) thru the Wooden Boat Store, which has the OB-20 in it...not a bad read. When do you think she will be ready for the water? Anyway, keep up the good work.

Trev

• Like 1

Ronny's Raft update,

I laminated all of the pilot house and cabin beams (3 strips of 1.5"x.5" fir).  All of the beams were dry fit on the OB20, secured and removed again.  I plan to finish the tops bright, using cedar and purple heart strips. Laminating, sanding, epoxy work and trimming will be much easier to do on the floor instead of jumping around the boat.  The strips are 5/8" thick, and will add some weight.  It will, however, reduce the amount of under-structure support pieces required, and the cedar is very light.  The tops will be awkward to put on, but the overhead cranes in the factory will save me yet again.  I do have employees that would be more than willing to help, but would prefer not to involve them in this build.  I obviously have no friends either, until the OB20 is in the water.

A hatch for the cabin top has been ordered and should be in on Friday.  Six round port lights have also been ordered for the cabin sides.  I would like to have all these things dry fit before all the sanding and painting starts again.

Regards,

Ron 

post-2825-0-06550000-1371603666_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-96355800-1371603707_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-52737100-1371603733_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Trev,

I would love to post more progress pics, but I have done absolutely nothing on Ronny's Raft for the last three weeks.  My cottage on Colpoys Bay needed some serious attention, a family reunion on Blackstone Lake, and I still put in 50 hour work weeks.  Once the dust settles, I'll get right back at it.

Regards to all,

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

Ronny's raft update,

I finally got back at it for a weekend.  The cabin top, pilot house top and windshield were dry fit.  So far the most challenging part of this build was trying to fit that two piece windshield on the boat.  It's my own fault because I changed the thickness of the cabin top from 3/8" plywood to 3/4" laminated cedar and purple heart.  The plans included an expanded pattern of the windshield and measurements were clearly shown on the drawings, but wow, that was complicated.  I could have made it fit quite easily, but custom warped glass is not in the budget.  It is still not 100%, but nothing that thickened epoxy and trim can't fix anyway.

The whole works was taken apart and put on saw horses to sand.  The hole is cut out for a pre fabricated hatch in the cabin top.  A section is also cut out behind the windshield to allow for easy access to the foyer of the master bedroom, (with en-suite I might point out).  All is sanded and will be finished bright.

The next step is to sand, prime and paint the cabin.  This will be a lot easier with the cabin top removed.  Who knows when that will happen, but that's the plan.

Regards to all,

Ron 

post-2825-0-08169900-1374540037_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-41096800-1374540131_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-00225100-1374540164_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-40429800-1374540227_thumb.jpg

Hi Ron,

I am from Greece and I am in the position you were last Jan. That is I am about to order the plans for my "Outer Banks 20". I have studied all your progress and the great job you did.

I would like if it is ok with you to give me an idea of the budget you have allocated and the spending till now. Also, it would be very helpfull to give me the cost per piece for plywood 4mm and 9mm as well as the epoxy litre in order to adjust the pricing on the Greek market pricing.

Kind Regards

Manolis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A little update on Ronny's Raft,

Not a whole pile of progress since the last post.  Cabin top now has a raised section to support the hatch.  Cabin access door is made from the original piece that was removed.  I was going to make a flat access door to act as a small table, but stuff will just end up all over the dash and windows.  Around these parts, advertising drinks on the dash is not a good idea.  We'll stick with a discrete table at seat height.  

Six ounce cloth went over both pieces along with three coats of epoxy.  A final sand and satin varnish will be next.  I'm not a big fan of the high gloss.  It makes everything look like plastic.  In the snap shots, the glare off the shop lights make it very difficult to photograph.

I also made the grab rails out of purple heart and mounted them with 1/4x3" stainless bolts.  The first coat of primmer was also applied to the deck and cabin sides.

Regards to all,

Have a great weekend,

Ron

post-2825-0-05074600-1376618072_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-37579800-1376618095_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-92204300-1376618112_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-72228000-1376618134_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-48521500-1376618281_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-07584300-1376618320_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

hi Ron,

Wow, your boat is coming along great! The timberwork will look a treat against the white background. I agree with your comment about the satin vs the gloss varnish, especially when you have such a large area of natural timber as you have. I ordered my set of plans a week or so ago and am looking forward to getting them and starting. Your comments and pictures of your build were a real help in deciding to tackle this project.

Ps, Without going back thru your posts, what size motor did you decide on?

Trev

Hi Trev,

The white is just the undercoat.  It will be painted grey.  I will probably go with a new 50HP Evinrude  E-Tech.  They are a two stroke and have a little more oomph than the four strokes.  I haven't really made up my mind.  I will wait until the fall or early winter when the prices drop a little and then decide.  The OB20 will not get wet this year, but it will certainly be ready for next spring.  There is only about six weeks of the boating season left up here in The Great White.  I could have saved myself about 100 hours of work, if I just did the top in 3/8" ply.  I,m not sure why I find it so difficult to follow the plan.  It's always been like that.  Maybe I should seek some professional help!  Then again, we are all building our own boats so that we can make it our own.

Regards,

Ron

• 5 weeks later...

I miss working on my boat as well.  Things are just nuts around the shop.  Sixty hour weeks for the last month and I still want to enjoy the cottage while the weather is comfortable.  The OB 20 will be continued in December I figure.  Contractors seem to wait until the last minute to order product and then cry when they can't install because the ground is frozen.  I end up being the gratis winter storage facility because they might need to pay for their product when it's picked up. It has been the same old drill for the last forty years.  Building a boat has been very enjoyable for me.  It really is a great stress reliever, and the ultimate distraction.

Regards,

Ron

Building a boat has been very enjoyable for me.  It really is a great stress reliever, and the ultimate distraction.

Ron

I couldnt have said it better. Even though I am in the early early stages of my 1st build I feel the same way.  I enjoy thinking ahead on what the next "goal" will be even if its glueing up a few components. It has been slow going for me as I am trying to set up "shop" as I build ( and have picked up tools from craigslist along the way) .