Outer Banks 20

Ronny B

Hi Regan,

The marine ply was purchased at Noah's.  I was able to buy it at wholesale prices through the business and seconds with broken corners didn't bother me as there is not a full sheet required anywhere on this good ship. 

We live and work in Brampton, but the boat will be used at our cottage on Colpoy's Bay in Wiarton Ontario.  After visiting my daughter in Peggy's cove last summer and photographing a beached boat in Hoohna Alaska in the fall, I decided that the lobster boat style just looked right for me.  The ob20 is the right size for Georgian Bay and can easily be trailered.  My 16' tin boat frustrates me to no end with all the canvas covers, zippers and snaps for a two hour cottage troll. 

cheers,

Ron

post-2825-0-84286400-1363048583_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-59705400-1363048622_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-68777700-1363048711_thumb.jpg

I love a good story about saving money. Have you been generally satisfied with the quality from Noah's? After I've finished pan-handling, checking couch cushions, and generally killing myself to save up to start my CS20 build, I'll probably buy my wood from Noah's. They're close and I've only heard good things.

I used to have family up in Meaford whom I visited for a week when I was a kid. It's really nice country up that way. I'm sure your OB20 is going to fit into the scenery beautifully.

Ron: Great post.  I have been admiring the Outer Banks 20 for some time now.  Good chance it will be my next build.  I am amazed at your rate of progress.  Just curious as to whether you are keeping a log of manhours.  I think this information would be of interest to all.

Looking forward to see how you will turn the boat over.

Keep up the great work.

Alan

I am not keeping a log, but I can accurately say that there is about 320 hours to date.  I put in a couple of hours before work, a couple hours after work, and 20 hours on the weekend.  Keep in mind that I have no idea of what I'm doing, and lots of time is spent looking at NZ Lances build or just generally starring into space. The boat is on the factory floor, and our busy season is coming up.  I am on somewhat of a mission to get the thing painted and flipped by Easter.  Once it's flipped, (with one of the overhead cranes), I can put it on wheels and move it around or into an unheated building until  the boys go home for the night.  Tonight I am not going back to the shop because I have had my daily limit of one shower.  The sanding has started this week, but it is a dusty,dirty job.  My wife is a loving, understanding, reasonable woman, but crawling in to bed with epoxy dust in my hair is just wrong.  

cheers,

Ron

• Like 1

When I finally got the seats framed I set a piece of plywood on it, climbed aboard for the first time, and holding an imaginary tiller, I stared off to where the horizon would have been if my house and the rest of Orlando hadn't been in the way.

I had a "thinking stool" that I would use for hours. Actually, before that I had a "thinking recliner", but that didn't work....

• 2 weeks later...

The sanding, filling, fairing process is slowly taking shape.  Not very exciting and extremely dusty.  The pneumatic orbital and dual piston in-line sander take the stuff off just fine, but they do blow fine epoxy dust all over the place.  It's nice to have a big shop to work in, however it is also a big shop to clean.  I now have several new wrinkles on my face from dust mask elastics.  I am contemplating painting the boat a flat camouflage type patina, or very colourful polka dots. This would shorten the fairing process by about 100 hours and priming could start on Sunday

Tomorrow I'll attend a marine painting seminar put on by Interlux paints.  Does anyone have an experience with this product that they could share?

post-2825-0-91343200-1363997232_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-91750000-1363997286_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-98905100-1363997370_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-49194000-1363997405_thumb.jpg

I have used Interlux Brightside on several boats.  I thought it was touchy, and needed good weather conditions for good application.  Getting the right mix of brushing thinner was tough for me and it varied considerably with temp and humidity.   However I did manage to get good results.  Several people asked who painted my Haven 12.5.  The gloss was real good, and impressed those who had done a little painting.  I tried rolling it on and could not get it right.  Not that it can't be done, I just have little experience.  I brushed it on a 31 foot sportfishing boat and had excellent results, the weather was with me.  When I did my 16ft Haven I had more problems, especially keeping a wet edge.  But it was mid summer and hot.  Still my results were pretty good.

I plan on painting my Ocracoke with Interluxe's Perfection 2 part polyurethane.  Another learning experience.  I got pretty good coverage using Brightside with 2 coats, 3 would definitely have been better.  In a yr or two i'll give it the 3rd coat.  My favorite interlux paint was Toplac.  You could put on a second coat without sanding if you stayed on their time schedule. Beautiful results.  They discontinued it I think, or at least the color I was using.  I used their Pre-Kote primer.  Anyhow I like their Brightside paint.  With some skill you can get excellent results.

Thank you Miyot,

I attended the Interlux seminar today and ended up with their Pre-Kote primer and Brightside paint prior to reading your post.  This anti-fouling paint and two part primers with two part topside paints etc, etc etc...., it's just too complicated.  This would be expected from a professional marine painter, but most of us gaze at our builds with a coffee in one hand and a brush in the other.  I would like a top quality paint and I don't mind paying a heavy price for it, but keep it simple.

Kind Regards,

Ron

I also agree with Interlux Pre-Kote and Brightside paint.  For an amateur painter I had great results.  It is been on my boat for four years and it still looks great.  Of course it is on a trailer not kept in the water.

Ron: I am curous as to what tool you are using to cut the great many plywood panels required for this boat?

Also, did you fasten the building frame to the concrete floor or was it stable enough just sitting on the floor?

Like everyone else, I am truly enjoying the pictures.

Alan

Hi Alan,

I have a fully equipped wood shop that we use to make precast concrete moulds and wood accessories for our products.  The sliding panel saw was used to cut a lot of the plywood pieces on the OB20.  Scarfing was done with the radial arm saw ( at a 70 degree angle, after hours with the guard off), and edger.  The most abused tool to this point is the jig saw.  The convex panels approaching the bow were scribed, then cut with the jig saw or band saw and sanded flush to the line.  Sanding and fairing was done with the orbital sander, in line sander and auto body rasps.  The timing with epoxy needed to be perfect to use auto body fairing tools, but worked well.

The first round of Pre-Kote was applied this afternoon.

Cheers,

Ron 

post-2825-0-40472600-1364165690_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-34883900-1364165747_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-14014600-1364165771_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-90806800-1364165794_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-27915100-1364165823_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-38373900-1364165842_thumb.jpg

Just looking through this tread was interesting. First of all if I didn't have other plans and loved to sail so much the OB 24 would be my choice to run all the large rivers in my area economically. I always wanted to do the entire length of the Ohio river (961 miles) in my Belhaven but never got a round to it. The OB 24 would have been a wonderful boat for long trips like that.

I have built six boats using Noah marines plywood and never had any issues with the company or their plywood. Have used their Okoume 1088 and their Meranti in1088 and 6566. I did find one very small void in one sheet of 6566 Meranti but that was it. Shipping can be cut to as much as half if you have a Yellow truck freight or similar place close by to pick it up locally.

Paint can be a touchy subject but I am in love with Epifanes two part, Ive never been disappointed with the results. I will never use any thing else unless they close up shop. Jamestown marine will give you a very healthy discount if you buy a case, on a 20 Plus foot boat you could use most of it. I like VC performance epoxy paint for below the water line. Only down side to it is it will stain a bit, but very tuff stuff that can be burnished. Great for trailered boats that can be left in the water also. Or VC offshore if you want the same qualities with some anti foul.

I will be using the Epifanes two part even on the inside of our 28 for a finish that will never need redone in my life time.

Keep up the good work she looks nice.

Scott

An update on Ronny's Raft,

I managed to get four coats of primer on the OB20, three coats of paint and a stainless steel keel strip installed this week.  It has been a balancing act to work on the boat without interfering with work's production schedule.  Every 12 hours there was some sanding and painting going on regardless of what time of day it was.  The boat needs to be flipped and put on wheels to get it out of the road during work hours.  I also need to slow the pace down because I'm not 25 anymore.

Happy Easter to all,

Ron

post-2825-0-21884700-1364683828_thumb.jpg

post-2825-0-55008300-1364684220_thumb.jpg

Thanks Miyot,  I see that your ship is progressing nicely.  That's a big boat!  Great job. 

The OB20 looked similar to a central american panga when it's upside down.  Photographs can also be deceiving with limited space and lighting.  Now that it is flipped, the shape and scale of the hull is beautiful.

Cheers,

Ron

Glad to see the turnover, that is a big deal point of any boat project.  I have two questions, both of which are just idle curiosity which perhaps you can indulge.

I couldn't quite tell how you turned over the boat using your overhead lift.  Perhaps, I am just dense!

The second question is also just curiosity, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out what products your factory turns out.  In one picture it looked like a really unusual ping pong table.

At any rate keep up the great work and the photos.

I just ordered the plans last week and can't wait to get going.

alan

• Like 1