Shad progress

gorn

Looks really good from here. 

I got some photos from a client that built a SHAD in Malta. He did an outstanding job on his. I would have been proud to have that one come  out of my shop! I  had forgotten about it till now. He gave me permission to use some of this photos. I will have to get to that.

Lashing til midnight last night :/

Sore hands today lol.

I still have the deck beams and bow and stern to go.

Broke one join, nearly punched myself in the face hahahaha.

Will post more pics when everything is lashed together.

Satisfying, to see it all pull together, and get some rigidity happening :)

I enjoyed the process as well, went faster than I should have, but I always have been kind of impatient.

Once everything is together and lashed, I will take some more pics.

Have to make a laminated combing soon, will be using the peg board method.

I already have the lengths of wooden rod, and will just cut them to size.

Going to use some cheap MDF board as the base.

Im undecided on material I want to use yet, but have not put much time into whats available that I like the look of

Has anyone here used the lawn chair seat in the their own SOF yet?

Im curious to see how its mounted?

Im planning on using one of those plastic chairs, but gluing some neoprene around it as well, only 10mm thick.

Also, I was shying away from making my paddle, but have decided to tell negative self doubts to bugger off and leave me alone for now lol.

Im going to laminate a few woods togther before any shaping is done, and will try for hardwood tips as well.

I know one thing, it will either be crap or good, I'll take that 50% chance and roll with it (no pun intended)

Jeff

Put my first post about Shad on my Facebook tonight.

Added the link to your site for a look at Shad as well.

Hope it gets a few more people looking and buying from you :)

Lastly, I realized today, that not even 1 minute by car, and Im at a boat ramp already.

happy about that, no driving for miles wasting fuel, and less excuses to not go paddling :)

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to say, except Ive been lazy :)

Back into it tomorrow.

Shaping stern Gunwale's to fit the plywood well, then lashing the stringers to the Stern plates.

if I have time, I will also fit the floor boards, and try and shape the plastic lawn chair to fit the frames properly too.

Should have some pics by Sunday :)

Ive also decided to do 2 hatches for gear storage, and ease of getting to the float bags.

They are a push fit O'ring design, very tight.

The actual hatch and base are hard plastic, size is 8"

Should be here in a few weeks, they only had white in stock, and I wanted black (of course).

Next week its decision time for what type of wood Im going to laminate my coming with.

Down to the hardware store to see whats available....

Also need to choose woods for my paddle, and get myself a router to sleeve the different woods together. may not be needed, but I will feel better doing it that way.

Sorry no pics tonight :(

• 4 weeks later...

A few pics today.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was a bit further along than this a week ago, but once I test fitted the combing, I saw mistakes Id made :(

I blame it on late night working on it :)

The 3 frames in front of the seat, where all off by about 6-8" too close, so the combing would have showed quite a bit of frame work underneath it.

Dammit.

Anyway, I have moved the frames to their correct location, and have checked all the others, which were fine.

I now have to make new floor boards, as the originals are now far too short.

I also am about to run out of Sinew, so an order to Jeff is about to happen as well :)

I thought that I would be finished by now, but procrastination, coupled with very hot weather got the better of me for a few weeks.

Id say Im maybe 2-3 weeks out from skinning at this point, which is not bad.

I already have my next 2 boats being planned in my head lol.

Whoever says one is enough is delusional!

Im wanting to do a Stonefly, and Im also going to do a Pygmy Kayaks, Coho.

Lots of work to keep me out of trouble :)

I bought some footrests from the local kayak store, but Im so short that the rests foul the frames everywhere I need to place them.

I may just make my own out of ply, and put some threaded inserts into a wooden rail so that I can adjust them if someone else wants to have a paddle.

We will see what I can come up with.

Cheers

Aaron

The only reason to use epoxy is if your surfaces don't meet right and you use a thickener in your epoxy.

I couldn't disagree more strongly.  One should use epoxy when it really has to be waterproof.  I wouldn't dream of using Titebond on anything that stays in the water for any prolonged time.

Thanks for the nice comments guys :)

I will be using epoxy on anything I feel is going to get wet often.

As good as the Titebond reviews are, I dont want to take a chance when I now have epoxy here at hand.

Had a sleepless night, was up til dawn, but it did have an upshot.

Ive worked out how to mount my foot rests without fowling the frames, so will have that done this week as well :)

1st time Ive had a plus point for insomnia :/  HA!

• 4 months later...

That is a very beautiful boat.   You really do nice work.  I curious, what country do you live, if you don't mind telling?  Be nice to know where these boats are being built.  I always thought it would be nice if there was a section on Jeff's store where people could post pictures of their Kudzu Craft builds.  As long as they give the info of which boat it is and where the person is from.  I of course realize there could be problems with giving people access to do that.  Maybe be could start a thread here that is just for pictures of the completed boat, which one it is a where the builder is from.  Kind of a "sticky" thread.  Consolidate completes in one place.