Lashing

Joe Feager

Interesting idea.  For the keel stringer it would seem a good idea.  In house building, plumbing holes, when drilled through the center of joists do little if anything to weaken the joist.  I wonder if the same would be true for the keel stringer?  If so, it would make eliminating the lashing bump complete and easy.   Not sure how you would do it for chine and gunwale stringers to get rid of the bump completely.  The whole side of these stringers as well as a corner and sometimes adjacent short surface hit the skin.

Interesting idea. Sounds doable and off the top of my head the only drawback I can think of is you would want to keep the hole small and you will probably have to thread the sinew with a needle which could be a pain. 

I am going to start the metamorphism on my Long Shot soon and I will look at that.

I had already decided to do this with the keel but will stick to the normal method for the other stringers. I believe that a hole through the beam will leave it a tiny bit stronger than a notch on the side. I agree that it will probably require a needle but for 7 or 8 lashings this doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Will post some photos when done.

I had already decided to do this with the keel but will stick to the normal method for the other stringers. I believe that a hole through the beam will leave it a tiny bit stronger than a notch on the side. I agree that it will probably require a needle but for 7 or 8 lashings this doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Will post some photos when done.

I think that is a good plan.  I think you are right about the hole being stronger than the notch, though I am not sure it is a big deal either way.  I have already done like this for the end lashings of the keel stringer.  It allows me to angle the lashings such that they pull the keel stringer into the notch of the bow and stern pieces it both directions (up and foreward or aft).  I think this yeilds a stronger join.

I have tried to envision a hole in the other stringers that would help eliminate the bump and I don't see one that works.  The bumps on these other lashings aren't really an issue like the keel any way.