Thigh bracing

Joe Feager

OK, I am a ways from this issue but it is on my mind.  It doesn't appear that any of you are using them.  I'm probably OCD about outfitting but I like a snug fit.  In my SOF the Masik provides contact for my thighs.  Of course, I have to slide in with legs straight. 

Also, everyone talks about sit boards to not disrupt the flow of the water but don't do anything about your feet.  I sit on a thermarest pad on top of some 1/8" neoprene that extends to my foor rest.  That way I slide in without catching the ribs and the 2 layers covers the keel so I don't feel it.  I know that those points of contact "show" through the skin in the water.  How much effect do they have?

I know that those points of contact "show" through the skin in the water.  How much effect do they have?

Without some serious tank testing there is no way to accurately know. But I would bet my morning cup of coffee that it is so slight as to make no practical difference. My most used boat doesn't even show any deformation where my heels rest. If you skin is on tight it's going to a very small bump(s).

As for thigh braces, I have never included them but some folks have added them to the coaming. I use adjustable foot rests and have always had my knees right at the skin so I could brace myself.

My boats are going to seem like high volume boats compared to what you are used too. Shad and Long Shot are the lowest volume boats. Of course the oval cockpit is huge compared to an Ocean Cockpit.

I tried to be a little smarter and searched archives for thigh braces and found no hits.  I can easily envision a keyhole type on the sandwich plywood coaming but I'm leaning toward the other style as it is similar to what I have done in the past.

Volume was another question.  My biggest problem in all my boats is foot room.  With my back against the wall the soles of my feet (size 13) are at 48".  That looks to be very close to the first frame ahead of the cockpit after deducting 4" from the space between.

The only boat with a tight cockpit is the SOF.  The others are similar to your design.  17" by33" plus or minus.  But in all toes rub the deck and heels are tight together.

I'm going to build the Curlew.  Replacing my small stream craft (Old Town Castine, 12 yr old, 12'8" long, 26" beam)  I've found that my other skinboat can really take some punishment and I think the Curlew will be a good replacement. I don't slouch, bad for paddling and makes it hard for torso rotation.