hatches

pakalolo

I think I plan on putting two hatches in my Vardo (unless someone talks me out of it for some reason).

I've seen on the Kudzu site that for the past month or so the 10" hatches are unavailable.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get suitable hatches that would work with this kayak? I definitely prefer a larger diameter.

Thanks!!

I would recommend the Sealect Design hatches I sold. They are very good quality and once you learn 'the trick' simple to get on and off. You can pick them up from Duckworks at about the same price I was selling them. They just moved way to slow so I quit stocking them.

There is no reason not to add them to a boat. They will not hurt a think if you don't use them. I don't put them in mine because I just don't carry anything and need them.

And just out of curiosity, what would be the advantages/disadvantages of using a hinged deck plate similar to this one http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/deck-plate-8.00-polyc-blk-locking-center-104565/4,2537.html

Is it mainly not used because the screws would show? I'm just wondering what some other options are and what I should definitely avoid (aside from the Sealect option) . . . . I'm just curious.

TopKayaker.net seems to have a whole article about deck plates being used . . . . so I'm just curious one way or the other http://www.topkayaker.net/Articles/Customize/KayakHatchDeckPlate.html

And just out of curiosity, what would be the advantages/disadvantages of using a hinged deck plate similar to this one http://store.hamilto...565/4,2537.html

l

I have seen one similar to this and I liked it. Easy on and off and flush which is a big plus in a Cowboy entry. I just didn't care for the price, but other than that I see no reason not to use one. The one I saw was a quality hatch but I don't know the brand name.

Screw on lids could jamb and be hard to get loose and can cross thread replacing them so I have just stayed away from them.

.Screw on lids could jamb and be hard to get loose and can cross thread replacing them so I have just stayed away from them.

I find they leak as well, I don't like them.

I don't see any disadvantage to the exposed screws. I would be curious to hear from someone with experience with those latch hatches though. There are a lot of junk hatches sold, but the Hamilton ad makes it look like a good option.

BTW, done with my sailing in Hrvatska (Croatia), but now touring Italy. I will be home 11 Sept. and more active in the forum again.