sealing frames / marine plywood

pakalolo

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I have used some stuff for a variety of projects called "Integra-Ply" which is underlayment for tile floors.  I think it is similar to baltic birch.  There are no voids and it uses exterior glue.  1/4" is 5ply and 1/2" is 7 ply. In my opinion it is a quality product, but I wish I knew more about its resistance to decay or breakdown.  It seems to me that it is a cost effective solution for boats that do not remain in the water.

No matter how much I search I can not find any good specs on the material.  The fact that is is made as underlayment scares me a little.  The characteristics of a good underlayment are smoothness and puncture resistance.  This means it may very well have been designed such that the resistance to a frame made of it breaking may be terrible.  I would want to find more about it, or at least do a test comparing frames made of a known plywood to it first.  Might be great, but I am skeptical till I know more.