sealing frames / marine plywood

pakalolo

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already on page 117 of Jeffs Book. Charge!!!

I have found a source in Little Rock for marine grade pine ply and one of my local family owned building supplies says he can order the baltic birch but he says he thinks it is in 4 X 8 sheets. He says he used to order it for one of the cabinet shops but they now order direct from his supplier. I need to stop and see him this evening.

I have found a source in Little Rock for marine grade pine ply

I doubt it is Pine, probably Fir. I bet you it has only 5 laminations which means that even though it is very waterproof, it is not very strong, especially cut into frames. You want something with 9 layers in 1/2". Both BS 1088 Okoume, Meranti or Sapele and true Baltic Birch do.

Up here in K.C. Liberty Hardwoods (a cabinet shop supplier) carries Baltic Birch 1/2'' in the 5X5 and 4X8 sheets ...and yes the 4x8 sheets are B.B. ,which has of one thing that distinct oder when cutting into it..

I have never hear of a true BB in 4x8 sheets. I have always said if it wasn't 5 x 5 it was not BB. Was it Russian made? I don't want to mislead people.

Be sure and check all possibilities. Just this morning, I needed a sheet of 1/4" BB. The closest I knew of is 140 or so miles away, but I thought of a local shop that sells unfinished furniture and advertises some hardwood. I called and sure they have it. 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4". I never knew he had it and last fall I made the long trip to get BB for my kayak. Check them all, it's only phone time spent. I'm a happy camper.

OK guys..straight from the (horses mouth) at Liberty Hardwood about 10 yrs. ago or so the industry shipping out of Russia opened up and some mills over their do produce and ship out 4x8 sheets of Baltic Birch ,most of it goes to Europe but some comes to the USA.....Just call Lib. Hardwood. 816 231- 0852.......

The guy at Liberty said it ( 4x8's and 5x5's) come crated up in the same package.....He also said China is doing something similar only using a Poplar core ply. .....unlike the Russian which is all BB. core plys....

They have a Lib. Hrdwood. in Iowa they might have one down in Ark...

They guy at Buddy Bean mentioned the Chinese stuff but there is no way I will buy that.

Jeff is there a perticular type of ZAR Oil Base Poly that you prefer? Apparently there are several styles to choose from. Is there something from Sherwin Williams that would also work well. I have a Sherwin Williams just up the street.

Almost finnished with my 15' 6" UJ Pirogue and ready to start on the Yak.

ZAR is one of the few things that will stick to a nylon skin and not turn loose but you had to have oil based, not the new water based. It is an old standby product that has been used for years on nylon skinned boats.

If you skin with polyester it's not critical because so far everything I have tried sticks just fine to polyester.

I am hoping it is truely BB. The guy at the builder supply said it was about $48 per sheet.

$48/sheet for 4x8? If it is real and the price is accurate then it is a steal. Just remember, it isn't just the species of the wood that matters when choosing plywood, it is the construction.

The 1/2 inch BB shoud be 9 ply yes???

I intend to build this first 3 boats with poly but for my knowledge base will the oil based polys from the other folks like Minwax Helmsmans Spar or Sherwin Williams products (so long as they are oil based) also work on the nylon? Boat #4 on my to do list will be a SOF canoe or pirogue which I want to cover want to cover with the toughest nylon that I can find. This is assuming I can't find a local source for the ZAR. Have any of you guys used any of the others products on nylon?

Oh Yes and THANKS Again for sharing your knowledge with me!!!

I am thinking boat #5 may be a plank type Rowing / Motor Skiff built form Cyprus using Uncle Johns plans.