cost for stringers -- opinions needed

pakalolo

So I've been trying to figure out how to get some stringers for the past week.

I have lots of experience with a planer and table saw, I just do not have either of the tools.

I found a cedar shop in the area who trusts my experience and said he'll provide the wood and tool use if I can come in and mill everything out. He just wants to know what it is worth to me.

How much is fair for the 6 stringers for vardo?

2 at 1-1/2 x 5/8 --- 18ft

4 at 1 x 5/8 --- 18 ft

I will be doing all of the milling and all of the scarfing, but what do you all think is fair for the cedar (I'll be using white cedar not red) and the tool use.

Thanks!!

That sounds fair. but what about if I am doing all of the work? The guy only wants to charge me for cedar and tool use, but I will be milling everything out myself. I'm not looking to low ball him, but I also don't want to pay more than I have too. White cedar is cheap up in Maine and is a great boat wood.

Thanks all. A small table saw is definitely on the list sometime during the next couple of months. Just had to load up on firewood so I need to save up again.

I ended up lucking out huge. I got all my stringers cut. For my six stringers at 18' I got 12 each at 12'. Cut split and delivered for $40 They'll each need one scarf so I'll have over 5' extra for each.

I know it was luck and not the going price, but that's all he wanted.