Portsmouth rating

Guest Joe Nelson Oregon CS20 #3

Guest Joe Nelson Oregon CS20 #3

I intend on attempting to get a racing rating for my core sound. Anyone have any ideas on how much of an ordeal this will be? I belong to a club. But I dont know how much experience they have with establishing ratings from scratch. Wondering if any calculations have been made or an educated guess what we should be looking for starting point?

joe_nelson22@hotmail.com

Guest Brent Sparks CS20 #31

Our local keel boat club starts with standard ratings, then at the end of each series (three or four times a year) adjusts the ratings so that the boat would finish in the middle of pack. This serves to keep the competition tight.

Any new boat is welcome to join the fleet. They are given a initial guess rating, then adjusted after maybe three races. This allows an E scow to compete against a Capri 22 against a Hunter 33 against a Melges 24. The CS20, or any B&B boat would fit in fine with this fleet.

This group is obviously involved for the fun of racing and doesn't take themselves to seriously.

bljcatsparks@earthlink.net

Guest Brad Whitehurst

US Sailing has quite a lot of info on the Portsmouth Yardstick system at

http://www.ussailing.org/portsmouth/

There is enough info there to come up with a fairly doable, if rough, way of quantifying a local handicap other by sheer guesswork.

One way to start would be to get the cooperation of a good skipper of a roughly equivalent known model and do sail-offs of individual upwind, reaching, and downwind legs, with the boats close, but not interfering with each other, to get the wind/water condition as identical as possible. Elapsed time ratios would give you a starting point for your rating, even before you had race results. Obviously, you would both have to have your boats trimmed properly, etc.

They also have a method of calculating a Measured Rating. If you can equate the Core Sound to one of the listed dinghy types:

http://www.ussailing.org/portsmouth/table_iii.pdf

then you could also estimate a Measured Rating as a place to start. Good luck!