Ravenswood coaming

uncleralph

Jeff,

I have the Ravenswood plans and I have read your book. In the book, you make the coaming from 3/4 in. and 1-1/8 in. rings. The plans have 1 in. and 1-1/2 in. rings. I assume there is reason you changed. Did the dimensions in the book prove inadequate? The scantlings on the plans seem really hefty, but I have never built a SOF boat. I calculate a coaming built to the plan dimensions from marine fir will way almost 3 1/2 pounds. Built to the book dimensions, almost a pound less.

I realize you advocate the laminated coaming, but I like the simplicity of the plywood coaming and I have the plywood anyway. Would you anticipate a problem if I built the coaming per the book scantlings.

Thanks, Ralph

Actually the book came out after the plans. The smaller coaming is a result of experience. I just have learned building boats that they didn't have to be so big The plans still reflect the wider coamings and honestly I had not noticed that. Some of the new plans may have the narrower dimensions, I don't know but it is something I will have to look into.

I didn't think the coaming was anywhere near your calculations so I took my scales to the shop and measured an old one with the screws that came off a boat I reskinned. 3 lbs with the screws. I am impressed with your calculations!