Official launch/ It's a boat

Jim Stumpf

Today was the first sail of CS17 284. Had a blast. Sorry the only picture is of the boat on the trailer and the porto-toilets in the background (nice background). La Due reservoir.

IMG_20120708_105438.jpg

Light, fluky winds mostly out of the north. Here is the track and stats of our sail.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202741569488548933811.0004c457e6afd95e58b71&msa=0

This pic is from the 4th of July we launched and retrieved about a dozen time tweaking the trailer. Rocky River Ohio no sailing that day.

IMG_20120704_092939.jpg

Thanks everyone for the kind words and free exchange of ideas. This has been a fun build and I hope to have many years of enjoyment from this one. Only mod's on the drawing board for now are longer sprits, for some reason I find the beautiful birds-mouth spars are shorter than needed, they are per spec but will not flatten the sail if needed in a stiff wind. Maybe the sailmaker gave me some extra rag.

The forward seat around the curved coaming is too shallow with the square profile, Joe wants to sit in the curved crook of the coaming so I will have to fab up a drop in arc of a seat so that he will be comfy while yelling at me that I can't sail. I think a small drop in thwart or seat across the lazzerete might be a comfy spot to sit in the crook of the coaming aft while Joe is at the helm regaling me with stories of his sailing prowess.

Although we were not shipping any water over the fore deck I may get around to sewing up a spray cover for the forward portion of the open cockpit.

Gordy point taken on the window, Joe would not had over the helm long enough for me to notice if I would like a window in the main or not. I did notice that the vertical battens tend to drop forward in light air leaving the roach partially unused, but I did have them installed so that I could furl the sail around the mast while camping.

Steve, thanks for the heads up on the Bay Front event. I was not aware of it and I have already run it by the Mrs., I was there years ago when the high school kids were building the Lake Erie fishing boat, I believe that the program has moved to bigger quarters and grown since then. CABBS here in Cleveland is also a TSBA member. Were do you call home, we head west to Pymatuning pretty often.

Lady Hurricane, any superstitious sailors out there that think it is bad JUJU to name a boat something like a disaster. Megan my youngest is an avid boat building and sailing companion, God love her but she leaves destruction in her path, hence the nick name lady hurricane. Any thoughts on the name? Meg accepting an award for her kayak.

Megan_with_FT_Award2.jpg

I asked her the other day what will I do when you move away and I want to go sailing or camping, her answer was "just come pick me up" simple enough I guess. 2 years ago.

Megan and her older sister giving a presentation on building a one sheet skiff to a room of amateur boat builders (read a bunch of old codgers) Circa winter 2000. The one thing I remember for Deanna's speech was that"we sanded and sanded and then sanded some more" which got the crowd laughing because we all know it to be true.

2-20-2010%25204%253B56%253B40%2520PM.JPG

Jim

Just lovely.

I agree on the sprits, better to make them too long than barely long enough. I've already replaced my originals with longer ones. It might be best for new builders to wait until after they have their sails to make the sprit booms.

Seating up front: I decked over the footwells in the front with removable panels. There's not enough foot room around the centerboard in any case and having the big sprawling space up front makes the boat infinitely more comfortable.

Am I cross eyed with the heat or should that bow chock run the other way?

Not sure what you mean, the choke tangs are skewed opposing each other and route the line the same if reversed, both chokes are the same and I am not aware of them being sold left or right hand. May just be the angle of the shot.

Jim

Am I cross eyed with the heat or should that bow chock run the other way?

Not sure what you mean, the choke tangs are skewed opposing each other and route the line the same if reversed, both chokes are the same and I am not aware of them being sold left or right hand. May just be the angle of the shot.

Jim

Hmm, it sure does look like it is on the wrong side. Skewed chocks, also called skene chocks are either port or starboard and work on the appropriate side oriented either way. They don't lead fair on the wrong side regardless of how oriented. When line is run fair through the chock the restraint of the chock should be on the flat and not the leading or trailing end as this would wear very quickly on the line.

Jim....I'm in Honeoye Falls, NY. It's a couple hours to Erie, but I attended the mid atlantic small craft festival last fall, and I'm hoping to help along an event like this after seeing what it could become.

I will probably bring my Sea Pearl, my spindrift 11N and the kids cardboard bats if they get it done. summer is so busy nothing is guaranteed.

I hope you decide to go.

Take Care,

Steve