SHAD details

Martin B

Hello Kudzu,

You might like to correct a "typo" on the last paragraph of your webpage introducing the SHAD; do not think anybody would want to build a craft called SHAT ! :wacko:

I am 72 years young, 1853mm x 86 kg [6' 1" x 190 lbs] with two synthetic hips; I currently paddle a Prijon Touryak 470 weighing around 26kg on large estuaries and the small rather winding rivers leading into said estuaries; occasionally we head out into the Indian Ocean.

I am looking for a day use only kayak [ not interested in expedition, high volume craft already have one of those !] and SoF would appear to solve the weight problem.

The SHAD, based on a traditional "greenlnder" type design looks great, nice sheer, lowish volume, neat ends.

I am considering both "ply frame + longitudenals = fusilage" and the 'traditional' bent ribs with deep, light inwales as per Cunninghan, Morris etc.

In Australia, a number of kayak home builders in the Eastern States have successfully utilised sheets of bamboo [i think it is a flooring material] ripped into 1" wide ribs rather than having to steam the usual American or European timbers ash, elm, etc . However the "fusilage" style construction looks to be much easier to achieve the desired result i.e. a light, greenlander than the longer "purist" route with 24 steam bent ribs, etc.

Now the questions, please:

1.) Would the SHAD be suitable for my long legged carcase? I need a cockpit opening of around 31" x 16" inside - but depends on the angle of the coaming - more angle wrt horizontal obviously allows a slightly shorter cockpit opening but I always have to slither in off the aft deck fairly straight legged using the paddle as a brace.

2.) Any problem reducing the length slightly to 16' 9" or thereabouts - controlled by garage space for construction and storage

3.) How many ply frames are there

4.) What is the chine beam (max)

5.) What is the deadrise angle at max beam location

6.) What is the keel rocker (say, from frame # 1 to frame # last)

7.) What is the hull depth at the aft end of the cockpit

To assist in my evaluation of the SHAD, could you please respod to the above queries and also email me a better i.e readable image (say, 1000 pixels wide for the craft itself) of the drawing on the Store - Plans page of your website.

Thanks,

Martin B

email mcbunny09@gmail.com

Well, Martin, I'm afraid I cannot answer your question, being I am a novice having built only one kayak, the Curlew, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum. I can say that Jeff's boats are very fun and reasonable easy to build. I am sure that some of the more experienced builders, including Jeff well bounce in here soon with helpful answers. So welcome and if you decide to build one, please keep us posted on you progress, and include lots of pictures, we love pictures.

1.) Would the SHAD be suitable for my long legged carcase? I need a cockpit opening of around 31" x 16" inside - but depends on the angle of the coaming - more angle wrt horizontal obviously allows a slightly shorter cockpit opening but I always have to slither in off the aft deck fairly straight legged using the paddle as a brace.

You are borderline on getting in butt first most likely. I am 5'8" and I can go in butt first and pull my legs but I just about touch the frame (Masik) getting in. At your height you may scrap your shins.

2.) Any problem reducing the length slightly to 16' 9" or thereabouts - controlled by garage space for construction and storage

I do not recommend it.

3.) How many ply frames are there

Ten. That will sound like a lot but there are a couple of extras in the cockpit that help eliminate the one that hits you in back of calf muscle. They are actually not full frames.

4.) What is the chine beam (max)

18.16" approx. It will vary slightly depending on how the wood bends.

5.) What is the deadrise angle at max beam location

10 degrees

6.) What is the keel rocker (say, from frame # 1 to frame # last)

2" at the bow and 1: at the stern

7.) What is the hull depth at the aft end of the cockpit

8" to the bottom of the coaming.