Launch

P Doug (WA)

At least we are up long enough for me to get in a photo of my launch of my Curlew today. It was a beautiful day, the kayak worked well, I didn't work so well. Really hurt my back. Got to figure out better sitting and support. Grandson, Granddaugter and son all took turns trying it out.

post-19-0-93084600-1340156100_thumb.jpg

woohoo! It floats. I am considering switching to a soft combination seat/back rest. It supports further up than the simple back band. My back does not hurt so much as I want to be able to lean back more and relax, but it might help your situation as well.

I didn't notice the frame under my calf, but I had my legs some what bent and was pressing the top of my legs pretty hard against the first frame. I think I was pretty stiff, because the craft felt real tippy to a newbie. I did notice I started relaxing in a few minutes and things worked a lot better. I was surprised at the flex in my paddle. I wonder how long it well last!?

For kayaking I really like my soft seat-backrest combination that has a vertically adjustable foam velcro lumbar support roll. Can tighten it to vertical (even a bit forward) for good paddling posture, and release it for lean back resting. Clips onto deck eyes. Its a high back with pouch on the back and even a couple of rod holders. Also for seats that are not very long, a foam/air pad (big swim noodle/inflatable paddle float?) under the thighs often helps. Just thoughts. Rick

The rigid plastic seat of my ancient Hydra Solo became increasingly uncomfortable over the last couple of years, so I removed the seat and the aluminum stiffening tube that ran down the middle of the cockpit. The first replacement seat was one I borrowed from my Hobie Adventure Island. It was luxuriously comfortable, but the back stuck up so far that it was a major battle to get the spray skirt on. For the next version I replaced the seat with a piece of 1/2 inch foam cut from a cheap sleeping pad (Wlamart). The lower seating position made the boat even more stable and more comfortable. One of the greatest improvements was that the back band rested higher on my back. It wasn't quite as comfortable as the Hobie seat, but on balance it's better than either the original hard plastic seat or the Hobie seat.

On my first SOF I glued foam to the floor and the rear of the cockpit coaming. The combination has worked well. The height of the backrest is about right, there's no back band flopping forward in the way when I enter the cockpit, and my center of gravity is about as low as possible. A final luxury was a foam pad on each foot rest.

Dan

I didn't notice the frame under my calf, but I had my legs some what bent and was pressing the top of my legs pretty hard against the first frame. I think I was pretty stiff, because the craft felt real tippy to a newbie. I did notice I started relaxing in a few minutes and things worked a lot better.

Very typical responses. After 2-3 hours in the boat you will be totally comfortable. Most everyone has the same reaction and feel very unstable at first. It is a little low for a first timer I admit. But that is on purpose. You can learn to be comfortable and lack of stability is made up for in the hulls efficiency as you move through the water.

At first my Curlew scared me. No way could I use binoculars in it. Photography was scary too. Now I fish, use binoculars, camera or whatever I want no problem. I don't give it a second thought.

As for backrests, EVERYONE wants it up high to start with. Some people have need of it but for most of us it is just a matter of building up some muscle strength. I started out always pulling my backband up as high as I could get it. Now mine falls just about center of where the belt on my pants rest, probably lower. It's well down my back. It took a while to get use to it but now I prefer it lower.

You don't want a back rest up to high because there are time you will want to lay back in the boat and high rest can get in the way. More importantly you should learn to do a Cowboy Scramble which is a method of entering the boat in deep water. A tall backband can prevent you from getting back in the boat.

And before I forget again. CONGRATULATIONS! :)

Thanks. Don't anyone think I was complaining about the boat. Love the boat, just going throught the "Newbie adjustments" and I knew I would have to. While I built the boat I kept thinking it looked so long and awkward, but when I get it in the water it seems so much smaller. I'm really anxious for another run at it. Few more photos, Grandson, Granddaughter and son and grandkids playing. We had a great time.

post-19-0-64446900-1340233976_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-05904700-1340234075_thumb.jpg

post-19-0-46382000-1340234113_thumb.jpg

That's one of the problems of getting older. The boats we build work just fine, but we may not ;)

I will say it does get better after some trips out. When you are unsure and nervous you tighten up and tense muscles that don't need to be. This alone could be a major cause of the back aches.

Looks good - well done!

One thing that can help with relaxion and confidence is to have a bit of a wriggle as soon as you are in the boat. Make it go from side to side a few times using the hips - try fast and slow, small movements and larger - just don't capsize as that's generally considered not so good for confidence :) . Being in a boat is a dynamic thing as you are always moving. Time on the water is still needed but this little exercise gives you a head start on helping the body learn what is normal movement and what's not.