My Marissa

russell

Dale,

I don't mean to sound argumentative. I have a real respect for your opinions.

I love my four-stroke 60. It gets jaw-dropping fuel efficiency mostly because I usually run at aboout half throttle.

A four-stroke Mercury IS a Yamaha.

Among the choices mentioned, you really can't make a mistake. Any one of them should work well.

Regarding the prop, I'm sorry I can't remember the size, I called the dealer, he also couldn't remember the size either. As I said we cahnged several times, and the last test we ordered a Merc prop but never used it as although they said it would work, the fit to the shaft was not desireable. The only way I can get you the size is by once again removing the prop as the numbers are on the inside. What I did find was that size of prop,trim,and weight of the boat is very important for best performance. The goal was to reach max. RPM (6000) +/- 100 rpm at max throttle. One thing I don't know is how much if any the performance might change as the motor get "broken in" I just barely have 10 hrs on the motor, with little time at WOT. Max speed at WOT is really not the goal, rather low planning speed and good handling give max comfort and good fuel usage. This boat has both.

• 1 month later...

Russel,

Thanks for your info on the prop. I guess I will have to go through the same process you did.

Graham said that you may be coming to his messabout.

I am going to try to get the boat done by then but I do not work well under pressure.

I may bring up my CS 17 'Lively'. If I do, I hope to see you and your boat there.

Gordy,

I respect your opinion also. I may have told you this before, but you and your CS 17 are the reason I decided to build 'Lively' and I have never been sorry. So thank you for that.

Dale

• 1 month later...

"One year, 5 months 2 days after first cut in plywood" - Obviously you started from the plans and not the kit. Can you give a guess as to what impact having the "click together" kit might have had on your construction time? I hope you were not working 40 hours/week during this time - was it just weekends or partial weekends? Clearly I'm getting ready to pull the trigger, but want abetter idea what I'm gettin into. Have built 2 kayaks, 1 optimist and worked on repair/maintenance on many wooden sailboats.

Thanks, Keith, SC

I did not work full time, there was several months I was not able to work much due to my 93 year old Dad passing away. I usually spent 3-4 hours a day actual working and many hours studying the plans and pictures. My pinion regarding kits--- I wanted the full experience of building this boat, I am a beginner with some woodworking skills.I have named the boat "IDIDIT". Thanks to Graham's good plans and pictures IDid It! As Geaham told me at the beginning---"It's a hundred mile journey, take it one mile at a time" Great advice, I remember counting every mile and enjoying the trip.

• 2 months later...

Great to hear all the questions and answers on the marissa. Maybe this winter I can get a start on one. I've plowed through more skiff designs and have come to find the marissa will work the best for me fly fishing NE waters. All I need to do is get the money making work out of my shop and get down to boat building. Last winter I built a bateau fs14 (stitch and glue) skiff and am happy with the learning process and with the manners it has on the water but want the 18' for bigger water. I'll keep reading all your musings. Thanks for the forum David