My Marissa

russell

I also rode in Graham's Marissa, I was sold immediatly! This is the best handling, best riding, boat I have ever owned! I've had many boats over the years from old 31foot displacement style to fast 19 Wellcraft to twin engine 28 Regal, to 22 Boston Whaler. Built one boat several years ago, Diablo by Dynomite Payson's from "Instant Boats" ( I call it my Home Depot boat). This was a real challenge for me. I learned as I worked on her, making many mistakes, Graham is lucky I didn't live near him, I would have worn him out with questions. We launched her in lake Altoona, Ga. after 3 prop changes, we were able to get 25 knots with two aboard and a full tank of fuel at 6000 rpm. We did some full speed turns, very nice handling no bogging or uncomfortable feel. The engine is new Yamaha 40 hp.

I'll include a few more pic's. The first is day 1, Dec 3 2010. I'll take a few more of the interior and post them in a few days.post-1248-0-56495600-1339942496_thumb.jpgpost-1248-0-18060500-1339942590_thumb.jpgpost-1248-0-89310200-1339942664_thumb.jpgpost-1248-0-63416100-1339942752_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Russell,

That's what I would call a proper workshop (the big refridge ;)

Seriously though, your boat is amazing! Great console, wonderful finish on the hull -- and very pretty proportions on top of it all. That a good boat and built proper, congrats!

If you would be so kind, I am interested in seeing any available pics showing construction details of the spray-rail/lifting-strake - especially the interior detail in the vicinity of the midships bulkheads.

Thanks a lot,

TomH

• 2 weeks later...

Russell,

Great looking boat and good time line on the build. Probably would have been my build if the design was available at the time, I built a Tolman 18 powered by a 40 yamaha.

I am curious about your gas tank as far as size and location. I bet she will cruise at 20kt all day.

One more ? what brand and model is that seat.

And another one, what size and pitch prop did you go with?

Again great work.

Bob

I used good old carbon paper (from Glen-L) comes in large sheet and very cheap.( Note. I used a round pattern marking wheel on the mylar because it makes a much better mark on the plywood than the pointed wheel). Graham furnished the plywood cutout layout with the plans. Very helpful and almost no waste. The gas tank is Moeller FT 1844 18 gal tank as spec'd in plan had to special order. I got the seat from a Carolina Skiff Dealer. It was new, sold as used as it was a take out from a new boat that the customer wanted a leaning post in his boat. Great seat as we can put a large cooler under it and the seat top opens with gas struts to be able to use the cooler. I forgot what prop we ended up with, the dealer was very helpful trying several props to try to get the best performance. Thanks for all the nice comments from you all.

Russell,

I am at the stage of painting the bottom, bootstripe and topsides. Then turn over and do the cockpit and decks.

I too plan to put a Yahama 40 HP on my Marissa so if you could take the time to find out exactly what prop you ended up with and provide it here, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dale

Dale,

If you mean the four stroke Yamaha 40 you might look a bit more. First, the Yamaha and Mercury are identical, so a good deal on either would work.

Secondly, the Yamaha/Mercury 40 is the same (weight, displacement, etc.) as their 50 and 60. I've been told the only difference is the carb.

Therefor there's no weight or size penalty for going up to the 60. You may only use the extra HP on rare occasions, such as pulling the grand kids on water skis, or beating a storm, but it'd be nice to have.

Another note: although it's unlikely you'll be in Canada in the near future, I found the prices in Canada to be much lower for the same motor. Also, you fill out paperwork at the border and the Canadian government sends you a check to reimburse you for any taxes paid in Canada.

Hey it was popular in St. Marys and Savannah for boat building. In fact the Peterson yards in both cities built massive cargo ships using white oak and yellow pine, and the Uss St. Marys, & USS Savannah. Untreated yellow pine has a well deserved reputation for not rotting.

http://www.ussstmarys.org/

A little group I'm involved with for a future partial replica project.

Hey im with Gordy reguarding engine size. Yes the yamaha 60 is a 4 cyl. .... and yes it weighs more than a 40. But you are pushing an 18 ft boat. Remember a 60 will only just be cruising along returning outstanding fuel economy .... when a 40 will have to be worked a lot harder to return the same speed.

I had a high thrust 60 on my last boat..... fuel economy wasnt even an issue. All day on one 25 litre tote tank, fuel injection ment it started first turn of the key any time....every time.

Yamaha makes great engines..... but check out the reviews on the 60 , It is one of the best out there. You simply cant fault it. And for a boat of your size , having a wee bit of power left to spare is a good thing. Especially if you are fully loaded and the weather turns.

Just my 2 cents worth.

cheers

Lance.

Thanks Russell for the info on the 40 HP. If you could get me specs on the prop, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Gordy, Hey, this is a Eco Friendly designed for 25HP which resulted in a win in the WoodenBoat contest. Therefore, I feel I am streaching the concept by jumping up to a 40. The main reason I jumped to the Yahama 40 is because it is fuel injected and as Russell mentioned a 3 cylinder. I know I do not want a Mercury.

Graham says the design will handle up to a 60 but that is not for me. I am an Eco kind of guy. Actually, I am a sailor at heart. If I was worried about speed, I would have built or bought something else.