Choosing kayak model for larger paddler w/back issues

iwing

I would like to build a SOF kayak and think I have narrowed it down to Mess About 15' or Vardo based on more cockpit room, but I don't know enough about designs to choose. I love the concept of this type of boat, but feel I will need room to pull my knees up for periods of time to relieve back strain. What will I be sacrificing by choosing one over the other.....I will be using the boat primarily on lakes & streams. I am 6'+ and 200 lbs+

Thanks for your time!

Either one should allow you room to move around in. Mess-About is obviously larger and will have more room but the VARDO has a very roomy cockpit and you can move around in it. I prefer a little smaller boat so I sold my VARDO because of the larger cockpit.

The two boats are very different. VARDO is more Sea Kayak and a better all around boat. If you want to paddle with others and grow your skills in the sport it's the better choice. You will not out grow that boat quickly. Maybe never? I loved the way that boat paddled.

Mess-Abouts are slower and much more a recreational boat to as the name implies, just mess around. They are fine boats but they are not good Sea Kayaks. They are rec boats for casual paddlers. I did make them longer than a typical discount house Rec Boat so they would not be so slow. But there are limits as to what you can do with a really wide boat.

Do you have any experience paddling at all? Do you just want to mess around? Do you have freind or a club that you paddle with? All those things have a bearing on which boat you might want.

Thank you Jeff. I have only rec paddled (own old town otter types and have used longer single and double plastic kayaks) with my wife & kids. I am thinking the mess about 15 might be more "universal" for family members to use as well as fish out of.

Which of the two would be an easier first build? and how long does it take to receive plans from you....I am in PA.

The Mess About will be simialr to the Otters so you should be able to transition to this boat no problem. I own the Cast Away version and use it for fishing and have always been impressed with the way the boat paddles.

Most times I get the plans out within 48 hours. Depends on my work load but often I ship next day. Mail time is probably 3 days?

The plywood is easy, 1 sheet of 5x5 baltic birch is more than you need. As for stringers it is hard to say. Jeff specs his designs for Western Red Cedar but other woods can be used if you know they are equally strong. You have to cull out bad sections, scarf joints and such, so it will vary with what you can get just how much you have to buy. I never worry about it as I will always use what is left for something else down the road, so I buy more than I need.

Yep, buy double the amount you think you will need and then you well have the material to start the "next one". It is such a fun project I can almost garentee there well be a "next one". Please keep us posted with lots of pictures of the build. And welcome to the forum.