Forum problems? Contact Frank • Like our Facebook Page

Photo
- - - - -

Kudzu fuselage frame open canoes - kneeling?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Riggy

Riggy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

Hello All,

I'd like to build a 'Fuselage' framed open canoe. Not bought Jeffs book yet but probably will as I am intrigued by the method.
I'm thinking of converting a design I have for a 5-plank-per-side 14 foot stitch and glue canoe to the fuselage method. I wish to use it solo, kneeling, and also with seats and a couple of small kids.

My question is this:
Is it possible to paddle in a kneeling position with an open constructed with fuselage frames as per the book or do the frames get in the way? Is there a way to avoid problems, e.g. careful choice of frame spacing?

Thanks for any help,

James.

(Motivation for this is that my 16" cedar strip canoe is too heavy for me to manhandle onto the car roof easily and took far too long to build, so I need a faster construction method, especially now I have 2 small kids absorbing what litle spare time I have!)

#2 Kudzu

Kudzu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

If you talking about designing your own then sure, just space the frames to clear your legs. You can also put your floors on top of the frames of course it will raise your CG but I don't think that would be a big issue.
Jeff
Kudzu Craft SOF kayaks
www.kudzucraft.com

#3 woodman

woodman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:06 PM

Buy the book is the first thing....And converting a stitch and glue to a skin on frame is prety easy...Those cedar canoes do have a lot of lumber and epoxy resin to add the weight ,durable on rocks but that's it....once you make the transition to a skin boat..you will be hooked .so be ware.....

#4 Riggy

Riggy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:53 AM

Just ordered the book. I'll probably be asking more silly questions when the build commences.
Cheers!

James.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users