Stonefly build

Aaron Newman

I recently bought the Stonefly plans and the assembly manual refers to the strongback brackets being part of the plans, however my plans just had frames only. I have my strongback built just need to make these brackets so I can start assembling. Does anyone have the specs for the brackets?

I found some nice 16' clear cypress I am using for stringers and gunwales and have them all ripped, Also local place had the Russian Baltic Birch so I grabbed a couple sheets. This is my first wood working project and I am a newbie with boats as well so should be an interesting and fun project.

Pics for build

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks really good!

I meant to ask you and forgot. What is the red late 30's early 40's car in the background. I recognize the others but I can tell what that on is.

It is a 38 Chevy coupe. None of them mine however. They are a family members. They have been sitting forever and I get the wonderful task of getting them all running again. It is what I am doing in between glue and paint drying.

Noticed the hood(s) up on the Chevy in on photo. I am a Chevy man but I like the early Fords much better. Never could ID the early Chevys. Till a few years ago no one wanted them.

That's probably because they are getting more scarce all the time. For some reason in our area there are lots of old goats that have the hot rod they dreamed about when they were young. I see lots of the older chevys, plus old Buicks, and such, lots of 4 door hot rods showing up also. This week-end is Cool Desert Nights event in the near town. Hundreds of hot rods and custom cars, tonight's Hogs and Dogs. Over 2000 motorcycles gather. It's all pretty cool event.

Well got all three coats on and tested for leaks, only had a small leak on the stern whip stitch so put a bit more on that seam. Tried my hand at a Greenland paddle. Not the best but I think it will move me about. Just have to put on rub rails and she's ready for her maiden voyage. Headed to Alaska Wednesday so will be late July before she's in the water. Pics Here

That is a sweet looking canoe! Some very nice looking whip stetching. I'm thinking the leaking on the stetching may be because you used (at least it looks like) sinew for the thread and it is bigger thread and leaves a bigger hole to be filled. The stitching is the only place I had a leak and I had to add a couple more coats. But, I well use it on the next kayak also and just plan on a little more varnish there.

Great job on you build.