Clear finish?

jerryg

Hi everyone,

I am thinking that instead of applying a paint color to my boat I will just go with a clear finish. So, I went to the local store to see what kinds of polyurethane are available.

There was both a water and oil based product from the Varathane people. They also had some Cabot's Spar Varnish. There

Three questions:

1) Are any of these better to use than any others?

2) I know that most people thin their paints before applying it to poly, but is this necessary if I am just going to use poly?

3) Any suggestions on how many coats would be required?

Thanks!

P.S. I notice there are some 2 part polys which can be ordered online, but I don't know anything about these. Anyone have any experience?

I used ZAR varnish and really like it, but I can't compare, I've only made one so far. What I liked about the ZAR, in addition to being easy to apply, you can add the second coat in 2 hours. I did not thin it. Just made sure it was stirred very well. It took about 1 1/2 quarts to apply 3 coats. What ever you pick to use insure it has UV inhibitor in it. Needs to be for exterior, of coarse. Minimum of 3 coats, per Jeff's recommendations. I did additional coats along the stitching. Oh, first coat I out on with a good brush. Thought brushing worked it into the weave better, 2nd and 3rd coats I used a 4" roller and smoothed ti with a brush as i went. It is worth it to purchase a good paint (varnish) brush if you don't already have one.

Zar is a good choice, however, it will not be a clear finish. We made several samples for Scott's Vardo. Plain Zar out of the can with 3 coats will give the boat a yellowish tan color and slightly transluscent. You will be able to see the frame thru the skin We experimented tinting it with Mixol stains and even plain wood stain at at 4:1 raito to get different color results. Scott decided on the mahogany stain. Jeff mentioned a different poly that is water-clear. Search this forum for the name.

if it's a gloss varnish you should NOT stir it. Nothing in there to mix. Satin's and matte, yes. Gloss no- just introduces bubbles

I love the internet and forums. You can learn new things all the time. I did not know this about gloss varnish. I'm okay though, mine was satin. Thanks for the info.

Several years ago a woodworking magazine, (maybe Wood), compared exterior clear finishes for durability. The winner by a long shot was exterior base paint. Spar Varnishes were not even a close second. I did not realize it before I read that article, but exterior base paint is clear and then color is added. I don't know how clear because I have not yet had the opportunity to try this technique.

Base coat may start clear, but I have never found anyone that has it. They always have a base that is white and usually some darker color. The reason paint is so good is because of the solids in the pigment, it blocks the UV. I suspect a clear base, if you can find it, is no better than Spar Varnish.

The other thing to keep in mind is most of us do not leave the boats in the sun all the time we don't need the best like a house would.

I would love to see someone actually try this on a boat. But I don't see how it could be any better the Dura-Tuff. That is the toughest finish I have used.