Sewing the bow using polyester skin

jerryg

Hi everyone,

In Jeff's second video on polyester skinning he shows how nice and tight things get at the bow by "lifting and pulling".

Mine, not so much,

post-960-0-18826100-1337386068_thumb.jpg

Obviously I wasn't lifting and pulling enough, though I though I was.

My question: Should I just seam around the bow until I get it all together, or is there a way to save this and kinda make it look like Jeff's?

Thanks.

Jerry

That picture doesn't really help me see any problem. I think most people, myself included had visions of the skin being tighter during sewing and after shrinking than is really possible. It may just be that your expectations are too high. It will never become drum tight. Is the skin overly wrinkled or flopply?

Hi Jeff. Thanks for the confirmation. Much appreciated.

Hi Dave. Thanks for the info. There's no noticeable wrinkles or floppiness, though I've haven't done the stern or coaming yet. I did some tests with some cutoffs of the cloth to get an idea of how much it would tighten up. Maybe I have been pulling a bit too tight as I've been sewing, to try and compensate.

Great! Tomorrow I get back to sewing and hopefully get the rest of it done.

Thanks again guys.

Jerry