Google+ users?

Kudzu

Just curious how many use Google+? I got on Facebook as a way to promote Kudzu Craft. Was so feed up with all the Facebook changes i couldn't wait to get on Google+. I set up a Business page the day they became available.

Fast forward a few months. I have double the 'fans' on Google as I do Facebook but I get virtually ZERO feedback on Google. Just curious if you use it and what you think. Seriously considering dropping it.

I am following you on G+, the RSS feed from your blog, and the forums. If I post feedback, it is generally going to be where there are the most users commenting on it, which is generally the forums.

The nice thing about G+ is I have a circle of boat builders that I publish my updates to, and I get my boat-building "fix" from. Basically it is Frank Hagan's circle posted here: http://messing-about.com/forums/topic/7680-google-boat-building-circle/ + added you as well.

It won't hurt me at all if you stop doing the G+ republish of your posts, you just may want to list the other places you post your updates to in your farewell to G+ post so anyone that only got updates there can find you again.

Personally I would keep the republish option going (you can have programs that will push your update to Facebook, G+, Twitter (as a link) at the same time you publish your blog post). If you are really into it, I am sure you can have it do your forum post as well, though that might require a custom built script add-on. Your feedback will just be scattered into several places, but you will get more coverage. So I would turn on email-updates so you get notified of which place you got a response on to track your feedback better.

Most people (85+%) are lurkers, so even if you are getting 0 feedback, that doesn't mean they aren't reading your posts and potentially buying your plans/materials. I personally wouldn't buy an involved kit from a company that doesn't have regular content aka blog/forum/very active Facebook or G+ community. It would feel like they are in it for just the $$$ and not offer much after-sales support without the content.

Whether the potential for additional sales and/or feedback is worth your extra time checking multiple sites is completely up to you. Whether you are as busy with your business as you would like or are starved for work would play a big part in that decision.

The one big gripe with Google is there is no stats. Facebook has really good stats, so even though I don't get much feedback I can see what is going on. With Google I am flying blind, no clue if it is doing any good. Can not believe Google of all people doesn't have stats available.

I found you here. And even though I have a FB page for staying in touch with family and friends I don't find any businesses there. Not sure how typical I am, but I wouldn't find you on either FB or Google. If I want something I just do a web search, so having your site set up to be found by important key words would get me.

I am all over the web Dave. depends on what you search for but Kudzu Craft shows up fairly high on the list for the words I expect people to search and I use Google ad words and more.

Andrew, I did. One Plus one and no text responses.

https://plus.google.com/b/105405454751548857147/105405454751548857147

That is why I was asking here. Just looking for more input but it's not looking good. Shame too, because Google is better set up once you learn it than Facebook, but I think Facebook just has the market cornered.

• 2 months later...

The one big gripe with Google is there is no stats. Facebook has really good stats, so even though I don't get much feedback I can see what is going on. With Google I am flying blind, no clue if it is doing any good. Can not believe Google of all people doesn't have stats available.

Sign up for Google's Webmaster Tools at https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/ ... they include +1 stats at least.

• 2 weeks later...

I follow you on here Jeff. I have never been on facebook, or even heard of G+ until I read it here. Of course I don't text, or have an I - phone or whatever either.

I hunt with a bows, paddle a canoe, and even ride a bicycle now and then. My Grandson thinks I am antiquated. He on the other hand is up to date on all that kind of stuff, however when I asked him to describe a sunrise, he gave a look and a tilt of the head that reminded me of my Labrador Retreiver when she is confused.

I have been on facebook after some pressure from my savvy children (all grown up). I don't use it to entertain myself, nor do I find it stimulating for nautical 'fixes'. Heard of google+ but didn't know what it is for and have never tried it. I arrived here through B and B (I have ordered a Princess plan). I have built numerous plywood kayaks and probably are a 'lurker' (this is my second post). Your boats are awesome and one will end up in my collection. I am fluent with aircraft fabric but have never built a kayak with it (yet). A little more lurking before action I think! I don't know about others but I probably lurk because 'it is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it'.

I have been on facebook after some pressure from my savvy children (all grown up). I don't use it to entertain myself, nor do I find it stimulating for nautical 'fixes'.

You might be surprised at all the Nautical pages on Facebook. I have just in the last couple of weeks "Liked" a couple of new sites that are really impressing me with the old wood boat photos. It has taken me a while to stumble up on them, but there are some really good ones out there.