15 replies to this topic

#1 woodman

woodman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

This was a fun project...band sawed and sanded on my homemade 6x115 edge sander...routed what I could and using a block that I slip a 40 grit 3''x21'' sanding belt on...finish up with an orbital sander some 3hrs later and linseed oiled....
Attached File  tn_100_2632.JPG   90.81KB   16 downloads

Attached File  tn_100_2634.JPG   199.02KB   16 downloads

#2 P Douglass (WA)

P Douglass (WA)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationBenton City, WA

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

That really turned out great. I keep checking the cedar 2 x 4's at my Home Depot, but they are so full of knots I've been shying away from them. I don't think a few knots would hurt but,,, I'll keep looking, I really want one.

Got a picture of that home made edge sander? Something else I'd really like to have, but time, money (lack of) and space (lack of).......are a problem.
P Douglass
1st build - Curlew

#3 Kudzu

Kudzu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

Same here Paul, hard to find good 2 bys also. But I just found a couple that I am going to make my oars from (I think). I have noticed that with the recession the quality of the lumber we are getting is actually better. Not great, but I do find it easier to find decent cedar. But any time I find a good 2 by I buy it and put it in the rack.

But don't over look laminating a blank. Using some basswood or cypress makes some really nice contrast against cedar.

When I make a GP I use the bandsaw, a shop-made scrub plane to rough it out and then a lot of hand planing. Never use the belt sander.
Jeff
Kudzu Craft SOF kayaks
www.kudzucraft.com

#4 woodman

woodman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

Using the edge sander make quick work of sanding the 3 1/2'' wide wedge cut of the paddle blade...kind of a pane using it to sculpt with but it worked...has 80 grit....
The sander has been in use for over 20 yrs......
http://s147.photobuc...os/edge sander/

#5 Hirilonde

Hirilonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts
  • LocationCharlestown, RI

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

I really like my bench top belt sander. But for paddles I agree with Jeff on tools and technique. I don't think any tool, ancient or modern, power or hand can compete with a good hand plane for shaping.

Dave Finnegan

1967 Pearson Renegade  "Hirilondë"

Spindrift 9N #521 -  many KudzuCraft SoF kayaks

#6 P Douglass (WA)

P Douglass (WA)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationBenton City, WA

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

Yep, that sander is cool. What a beast!
P Douglass
1st build - Curlew

#7 woodman

woodman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:54 PM

What would make a good drip stop? I was thinking some leather strips ...

#8 Kudzu

Kudzu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:23 AM

Only thing I have found is a spray skirt. ;)

Actually I have found one thing that shows promise. If you're using a GP correctly you don't want anything that will get in the way when you slide your hand down the blade. But the 'scrunchies' that the women pull their hair into a pony tail with, I tried some and they really worked but they were not tight enough to stay on the paddle. Ended up loosing one pretty quick and other one slide way down the blade. But if you found one with the right tension I think it would work well. Otherwise nothing I have tried really does more than slow it down.

Posted Image
Jeff
Kudzu Craft SOF kayaks
www.kudzucraft.com

#9 woodman

woodman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:28 AM

I have been fishing out of mine, don't have a skirt yet....just wear swimming trunks....

#10 Hirilonde

Hirilonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

Nothing but a skirt will keep you really dry, but buttons on the loom just inside the blades help a lot.

Dave Finnegan

#11 bentg

bentg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

Buttons?

#12 jerryg

jerryg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

Hey Woodman,

I ws just wondering how you picked the various dimensions for your paddle. Did you eyeball the whole thing, or work from some specs?

Thanks.

Jerry
Be seeing you,

Jerry

Follow my first kayaking building experience at YoYo builds an akyak

#13 Hirilonde

Hirilonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

Buttons?

Attached File  paddle button.JPG   64.87KB   21 downloads

Dave Finnegan

#14 Kudzu

Kudzu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

Jerry, somewhere on the web there is a formula for sizing a Greenland paddle to your size. I follow it roughly, I like a bigger shaft than they recommend but the more I paddle the more I come around the the suggested length and blade sizes.
Jeff
Kudzu Craft SOF kayaks
www.kudzucraft.com

#15 HonestKen

HonestKen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

For sizing and building here is a good link http://www.qajaqusa..../makegreen2.pdf

I like to laminate my blanks for strength and no warp. If you laminate be sure to run the grain the same way or it makes planing less than enjoyable.

Been using the same paddle and storm paddle for about 10 years now, unfinished cedar. very pleased with the performance and how they have held up on granite. rock and sand.

A real enjoyable project but can you say 'wood shavings'? Bussels of them from just a weenie greenland paddle.

Enjoy the project.

Ken
“I remember how my great-uncle Jerry would sit on the porch and whittle all day long. Once he whittled me a toy boat out of a larger toy boat I had. It was almost as good as the first one, except now it had bumpy whittle marks all over it. And no paint, because he had whittled off the paint.”

#16 Hirilonde

Hirilonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:21 AM

For sizing and building here is a good link http://www.qajaqusa..../makegreen2.pdf................................

I used that very article for design and sizing of my paddle. The result is in the same photo showing a button above. I can't claim to be an expert yet, but it seems to be very thorough in practical info and historic background.

Dave Finnegan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users