Cedar 2x4 = Greenland Paddle

woodman

That really turned out great. I keep checking the cedar 2 x 4's at my Home Depot, but they are so full of knots I've been shying away from them. I don't think a few knots would hurt but,,, I'll keep looking, I really want one.

Got a picture of that home made edge sander? Something else I'd really like to have, but time, money (lack of) and space (lack of).......are a problem.

Same here Paul, hard to find good 2 bys also. But I just found a couple that I am going to make my oars from (I think). I have noticed that with the recession the quality of the lumber we are getting is actually better. Not great, but I do find it easier to find decent cedar. But any time I find a good 2 by I buy it and put it in the rack.

But don't over look laminating a blank. Using some basswood or cypress makes some really nice contrast against cedar.

When I make a GP I use the bandsaw, a shop-made scrub plane to rough it out and then a lot of hand planing. Never use the belt sander.

Using the edge sander make quick work of sanding the 3 1/2'' wide wedge cut of the paddle blade...kind of a pane using it to sculpt with but it worked...has 80 grit....

The sander has been in use for over 20 yrs......

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r302/scrawford_photos/edge%20sander/

• 2 weeks later...

Only thing I have found is a spray skirt. ;)

Actually I have found one thing that shows promise. If you're using a GP correctly you don't want anything that will get in the way when you slide your hand down the blade. But the 'scrunchies' that the women pull their hair into a pony tail with, I tried some and they really worked but they were not tight enough to stay on the paddle. Ended up loosing one pretty quick and other one slide way down the blade. But if you found one with the right tension I think it would work well. Otherwise nothing I have tried really does more than slow it down.

Hair-scrunchie.jpg

For sizing and building here is a good link http://www.qajaqusa.org/QK/makegreen2.pdf

I like to laminate my blanks for strength and no warp. If you laminate be sure to run the grain the same way or it makes planing less than enjoyable.

Been using the same paddle and storm paddle for about 10 years now, unfinished cedar. very pleased with the performance and how they have held up on granite. rock and sand.

A real enjoyable project but can you say 'wood shavings'? Bussels of them from just a weenie greenland paddle.

Enjoy the project.

Ken

For sizing and building here is a good link http://www.qajaqusa..../makegreen2.pdf................................

I used that very article for design and sizing of my paddle. The result is in the same photo showing a button above. I can't claim to be an expert yet, but it seems to be very thorough in practical info and historic background.