CS17 rub rails

Joe Antin

I am close to completing my CS17 and I want to add rub rails. Stainless steel is always a good choice but the color doesnt seem to compliment the boat well. I was thinking about brass half-round vs wood. So my questions are does brass half round stand up well without corroding? Do people think the SS is the best approach? and finally is there a good supplier for wooden mouldings or should i make these myself.

Joe

Hey Joe,

Will you be docking and banging the boat around enough to warrant ss rails? Stainless rail is kind of expensive especially if you have to have longer lengths shipped.

I used ss rails on top of the wood rub rail on Primrose

P4140318.JPG

I think wood on the CS 17 is plenty for average use

IMG_20120310_143359.jpg

IMG_20120508_072358.jpg

If you built the rest of the boat making your own rails should be a breeze. Rip the stock to dimension round the top with a router or block plane and I like to put a relief in the bottom next to the hull as drip leg to keep water from running down the hull from the rail.

Hope that helps,

Jim

thanks - I agree that the SS is too expensive. I kind of like the brass - will it tarnish or be a problem to maintain. The advantage of the metal strip is that it will take more wear and tear than the wood and will be a bit less work. The boat will be moored at the dock and not trailered.

joe

I definitely agree with Randy on using a hard wood, even if you add the chafe strip. In my area Dark Red Meranti is available at a very reasonable price and looks a lot like mahogany. I like bronze best for chafe gear, but it costs even more than stainless. Brass is a pretty fair substitute, emphasis on the fair, especially for a boat kept in the water. It will last quite a while, but not like stainless, and nothing lasts like good bronze.