Painting

cjp1063

A few questions concerning the finish (paint).

1) I thought I saw in an earlier post but can't find it again that it is recommended to thin the first coat of paint. I am using Rusoleum oil based. what kind of ratio are we talking about for thinning.

2) what makes the skin waterproof, the paint or the ironing of the skin before the paint?

Thanks.

Chris

The manufacturer recommends no more than 15% using acetone. Personally, I liked using the thinned paint best. It went on much easier and smoother. With the 4" foam roller, it is quick to put the coats on.

The paint is what seals the fabric, the ironing only tightens and removes the wrinkles.

I thin the first coat for cosmetic reasons. It soaks into the fabric much better and leaves a nice consistent color on the inside of the boat instead of blotchy looking patches of color. I have never measured, I just add thinner till it is is right. Just go slow! You can always add more, can't take it out.

Paint till it is waterproof. Shine a light through and look for pin holes. I have found 3 coats is enough but your mileage may vary.

The manufacturer recommends no more than 15% using acetone. Personally, I liked using the thinned paint best. It went on much easier and smoother. With the 4" foam roller, it is quick to put the coats on.

The paint is what seals the fabric, the ironing only tightens and removes the wrinkles.

I always used Mineral Spirits. I would thin Acetone woud eveporate real quickly. Maybe I just learned something new....

I always used Mineral Spirits. I would thin Acetone woud eveporate real quickly. Maybe I just learned something new....

Real quickly is a relative statement, but acetone surely evaporates more quickly than mineral spirits. For most oil based paints and real varnish (not polyurethanes or urethanes) I prefer pure gum turpentine. It evaporates even slower than mineral spirits which means keeping a wet edge is easier, especially in warm conditions.

• 4 weeks later...

I have built what I am calling a playboat--similar to a recovery kayak but with variations. I have covered it with polyester following the directions in Jeff's book. I would like to paint it in more than one color and I was wondering if there is a way to stop the colors from bleeding into each other? I really love Jeff's Nemo and if he doesn't mind I would like to copy it. I live in NY and finding oil base house paint so I can get it tinted is a big problem.

Thanks,

Ann

Paint one color, cover a little more area than will be exposed and let it dry first. Then mask it off to a line you want and paint another. Overlap each color onto the last. Do all 3 coats of one color before the next. It will take a while, I figured 1 day, or at least 6 hours if warm and dry for each coat of each color. I did mine in the basement during winter and waited over night for each coat to be sure. Unlike 2 part paints which chemically cure, too many coats too fast with oil based paints means it will never cure properly.

I painted Nemo Orange all over and then masked off the white. I painted the black by hand since it was irregular. No need to mask it. I just went over the line between the orange and white. You should do the lightest colors first but I didn't have enough white. But white over a dark color takes a lot of coats!

BTW, I drew one using the same pattern but turquoise/blue and white and was really impressed with that. One day I will paint one that color combo.

Best tip I can give you is order 3M high adhesion masking tape #2020 for production painting (labeled something like that). It is the the ONLY tape I have found that will stick to the rough surface of the polyester. Even then I used a burnishing tool I made from a dowel to burnish the edges of the masking tape. I will get just a few blow out under the tape but they are small and if you buy a small disposable foam brush, the pointed edge makes is fairly easy to touch up the edges.

Thanks so much for getting back to me on the painting of Nemo. My biggest problem seems to be finding the oil base paint for the orange that can be tinted and doesn't cost $40 a quart. Any leads for the paint would be appreciated. I live in NY--low VOC state.

I use porch and deck enamal and it can be tinted any color on the chart just like wall paints.

I painted Nemo Orange all over and then masked off the white.

If you painted it all orange what white are you masking off? Or do you mean you masked off to paint the white?

To prevent the paint from seeping under the edge of tape, used to mask of areas, paint over the edges with the underlying color, before you apply the top coat. For example if you are painting red over white. Paint the edges of the tape with the same white, let dry, then paint the red. If there's any seepage, it'll be white and not noticeable.

Thanks everyone for your input. I will go to Home Depot today and see what they can do. I'll look into the porch and deck enameI. I bought the 2020 masking tape and I'm hoping once I have a coat of paint on the kayak it will stick better. I know the frog tape doesn't work nor does the blue tape. This is my first build and I really want it to look great. Thanks for the hint on painting the edges of the tape --I would never have thought of that. And also for the tip on burnishing the edge of the tape.