CS20 mk.2

Designer

It has been a long time coming. We have finally started prototyping the CS20 kit. I am calling it mark 2 because I have done a major revision in preparation for the tool pathing for kit production.

I have had a lot of requests for a cuddy cabin and a self draining cockpit. I raised the freeboard 2" and gave her more deadrise. The extra freeboard helps the make the cabin work better and allows the cockpit to be raised allowing us to fit water ballast. It also raises the point of vanishing stability which will be further enhanced with ballast. Here she is. post-127-0-60015800-1335233681_thumb.jpgpost-127-0-71143700-1335233711_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Quote: "I raised the freeboard 2" and gave her more deadrise." Most likely will increase draft, but it appears that Graham is going for a comfy cruiser with a cabin. Throw a potti in there and instant selling points to the women. For some reason hanging tail over the stern doesn't appeal to many fems.

Here is the latest picture.

While the extra deadrise will increase the draft slightly, it does increase volume which will take back some of the extra draft. I forgot to measure the draft today at normal load so I can't give a precise number.

Rather than a problem, I see the deadrise as an advantage in shoal waters. When a flat bottom boat runs aground it is really aground rather than a V bottom which lets you heel the boat to reduce the draft after running aground allowing you get back into deeper water.

The water ballast is there if you feel the need for it. It is unproven for this boat at this time. I will report on it after a thorough testing

The picture shows the three bulkheads in place. The forward bulkhead ties into the tabernacle, the deckbeam defines the foredeck and house front, the center bulkhead shows the forward end of the cockpit and the aft end of the cabin. You can see the slot for the trunk which is offset to port increase room in the cabin.post-127-0-52846700-1335405764_thumb.jpg

Here is the latest picture.

While the extra deadrise will increase the draft slightly, it does increase volume which will take back some of the extra draft. I forgot to measure the draft today at normal load so I can't give a precise number.

Rather than a problem, I see the deadrise as an advantage in shoal waters. When a flat bottom boat runs aground it is really aground rather than a V bottom which lets you heel the boat to reduce the draft after running aground allowing you get back into deeper water.

The water ballast is there if you feel the need for it. It is unproven for this boat at this time. I will report on it after a thorough testing

The picture shows the three bulkheads in place. The forward bulkhead ties into the tabernacle, the deckbeam defines the foredeck and house front, the center bulkhead shows the forward end of the cockpit and the aft end of the cabin. You can see the slot for the trunk which is offset to port increase room in the cabin.post-127-0-52846700-1335405764_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

While I was on a 5 day 4 night cruise on my CS17, I found myself thinking a lot about this new CS20 and how it would be ideal for what I want to do with my boat.

Is the cabin going to big enough to sleep in?

Also, I'm interested in how you are going to do the cockpit arrangement. I'd want a large bridgedeck forward of the mizzen and a comparatively small footwell behind the thwart. I find on both the CS17 and CS20 the centerboard clutters up the forward footwells too much to be comfortable. It's nicer to have a big flat up there instead of the narrow wells IMO. Ideally there would be easily accessible and lockable stowage under that bridge deck.

I keep saying I'm done building boats, but this one may lure me out of retirement...

Hello, all. I am curious if the non-kit form of the CS 20 will incorporate these changes. That is, will the plans mirror the changes made in the kit? i am interested in a CS 20 for beach cruising mainly down in Florida. It would be nice to have a cuddy so i can get out of the weather and the bugs.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the latest picture. The self draining cockpit is in and the bunk tops with hatches are finished. You can see the offfset trunk, the picture makes the top of the trunk look out of plane with the seats but it is in plane. There will be a bridge deck abaft the cabin and the narrow area to port of the trunk will be decked over.

The hole in the cockpit sole forward is for access to the water ballast plumbing. The next hole aft is the mizzen mast step which is on center.

I will be making the plans available as well as the kit.post-127-0-70339300-1339036005_thumb.jpg

Graham,

This really looks sweet. I'm just finishing a S11N (thanks for getting me the sail....christening it soon) as a practice run to build something bigger. this looks like just the ticket. I can't wait to see what it weighs, and what it looks and performs like. Keep the pictures coming.

Take Care,

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Graham,

Do you have any timeline on when you might plan to have a kit available by please? Would it be possible to see a profile drawing of the design please?

you mention the narrow area to port of the trunk will be decked over. How long will it be? Could it be a fishing rod storage area if some rod tubes were insert into the forward bulkead aka typical bassboat style? Just wondering.

what you have shown so far looks great.

Thanks

Rich.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That looks really promising. I have always lusted after a drascombe coaster just because it was light enough to pull with a small car, had shallow draft, a mizzen, and a small cabin. to have all that and what will pobably be great perfromance is exciting.

By the time you have plans for sale, my wife may be over her moratorium on basement boat building.

Take Care,

Steve

I' the owner/builder along with Graham of the CS20 Mk 2. The boat is ready for epoxy cote and paint. Next job is to build the spars. I've deviated from the plan a bit in that I've added a regular sliding companionway hatch, and a bow sprit for the anchor.post-1823-0-64183100-1345864704_thumb.jpgpost-1823-0-81180100-1345864756_thumb.jpgpost-1823-0-16162100-1345864809_thumb.jpgpost-1823-0-68000700-1345864839_thumb.jpgpost-1823-0-80244700-1345864877_thumb.jpgpost-1823-0-23554300-1345865036_thumb.jpgpost-1823-0-74093900-1345865084_thumb.jpgpost-1823-0-37647600-1345865160_thumb.jpg Everything is coming together nicely---I'm very pleased. We'll definitely be at the messabout, and giving rides. I'll post some recent pictures if I can figure out how.

• Like 1

Looks great! Should make for an outstanding weekend/multi-day cruiser that retains much of the simplicity and "open" feel of the original.

I've thought many times that if I were building my CS20 over again, I would raise the forward deck and install a flat floor to make the forward area more usable ... especially as a space for my little girls to play when underway. After our previous boat (a Stevenson Pocket Cruiser), I don't think I'd want a boat with a true cabin again, but this one looks very appealing.

There is plenty of sleeping room in the cabin, and sitting head room. The w/c goes under the v-berth forward. There is a footwell just the right size. With the c.b. trunk offset, it isn't in the way.

Water ballast tank to drink??? Not sailing in salt water! :huh:

Even with the cabin, there is still lots of room in the cockpit for a crowd.