Advice/suggestions on fixing a coaming problem

jerryg

Hi everyone,

So, I made a mistake. I built the form for my laminated coaming to small, which means that it doesn't really rest on the front and back center deck stringer. This gives me two choices it seems:

1) Remake the form for the coaming and make a new one

2) Replace the front and back deck stringer with longer one and use the existing coaming.

Neither option is very appealing, but I thought I would ask for opinions before I did anything.

Thanks.

Another suggestion that might work. Undo the front and back top stringers at the points closest to the coaming and scarf on extensions. That may be harder though than just replacing them. I think it would be easier to do the stringers than building a new coaming. Just my humble opinion. On the other hand, redoing the coaming gives you a larger hole to crawl into. Guess I'm not being much help.

• Like 1

Pictures please. If you like the coaming there are other options, but without detail photos of the 2 frames in relation to the coaming I can't tell. You can always attach a rest or cleat of some sort to the frames to support the coaming, but only if within tolerances to do so. I added one to the after frame on my wife's kayak (I refuse to call it a Freebie 12) for that very reason. I used screws.

Hi everyone,

Currently I have around 1/4" overlap at the front and back. Here are two shots, the first from the front the second from the back.

post-960-0-02065000-1334950510_thumb.jpg

post-960-0-75210100-1334950511_thumb.jpg

Here is a shot looking down, which doesn't tell much, but gives an overall idea of how it fits

post-960-0-36814400-1334950513_thumb.jpg

As near as I can tell, when I cut the back of the coaming I must have gone off my scribe line by a good 1/2"-3/4". Not the end of the world in terms of getting in and out of the boat, but coupled with the fact that I cut the stringers more flush than I should have, has ended up giving me the problem.

The coaming is a 3 ply laminate of maple, about 1.5" high. I can make a new one, but in order to do that I will have to make a new form, which would be a bit of a pain (cause I've run out of 3/4" plywood!) but could be done.

Thanks again for all the help. You guys are the best.

Jerry, if it is not too late, I have another suggestion for your coaming problem. I don't know why it didn't ring a bell with me before, but I had a similar problem. I answered it just a few minutes ago in this thread. http://messing-about.com/forums/topic/7841-curlew-build-log/page__st__40 . It may not be agreeable to all, but I think it will work. I'm banking on it.

Jerry, if it is not too late, I have another suggestion for your coaming problem. I don't know why it didn't ring a bell with me before, but I had a similar problem. I answered it just a few minutes ago in this thread. http://messing-about...og/page__st__40 . It may not be agreeable to all, but I think it will work. I'm banking on it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought it was a good idea, but I had already cut and installed new stringers. In the end I am happy I did, though it did add some extra time to the building.

In a day or two I will write a post about my experience making the coaming, which was interesting to say the least.

Thanks again.