Skid Strip

P Doug (WA)

I've started to make a skid strip for the bottom of my boat. I'm doing the unthinkable, and using wood! Is cypress any good for this? I have a piece of cypress, but I have never worked with it before. Don't know much about it. Also do you think 3/16 would be thick enough? That is about as thin as I can go and be able to countersink the screws.

I made one out of Honduras Mahogany and it broke tightening the screws. The problem is that the screw holes weaken such a thin piece of wood so much that any strain breaks it. I don't think it would hold up even if you got it made and secured intact. Maybe if it were made of Ipe. So far I like brass best. If you have the means to shape it well I bet UHMW plastic would work well too.

I have been thinkig about the protective strips for a while and also thinking about how I get in and out of the boat I use now. I tend to back up to the shore if I can't get sideways to it. So I am going to put strips on both the bow and the stern. I have not yet decided what to use for strips.

If you back in by all means add a rear strip. What ever material you use you want it on the area of the boat rubs the most. I tend to nose mine in so I just put one on the bow. Shad has never gotten a rub strip so I pull parallel to bank and don't nose up on the bottom.

Most any wood will work, softwoods will just need to be replaced more often but they work.

If any of you are inclined to go in a different direction, Jamestown Distributors has brass half round, and the 3/8ths size comes in at about $2 a foot. I'm probably going to try that myself.

The problem with hollow half round is that it kinks when you bend it to go around the curve in the bow. Solid half oval would be ideal, but not sure you can get it small enough.

This 1/2 round looks like it is solid. It say the 3/8" and the 1/2' can be coiled to ship so it must bend pretty easily.

I didn't realize they carried it so small. It must be new. In the past solid half round and half oval have been 3/4" and bronze or stainless.

Jamestown Distributors was located right across the street from the office I worked out of. Now it is almost an hour away ;)