Longer Cockpit for Diva?

ricknriver

Hi, Need a <=35# efficient kayak, to run with my production boat yak mates. One that will handle windy conditions better than my 30# solo Kevlar canoe, for day and long weekend flatwater and occasional river trips. Diva's specs looks like she might work for me if I can keep her weight down to Grahams lower spec and lengthen her cockpit to at least 36" (no cpit spec on BnB page) so this old dog (6'1", 200#) can move around a bit on long days. Will the plywood hold up as well as Kevlar on CL I/II light river rapids and rock knocks. Don't mind patching as needed with tear aid or similar on the fly occasionally. Can't get access to the search function (host challenge) so all advice/thoughts welcome. Thank you, Rick

I'm thinking Diva as well to add to my daughter's growing fleet of water toys. Wild guess she is built with 4mm ply, but wonder if the hull is glassed or not. Or if one could go with 3mm ply and 4 oz glass? I'm fairly sure the cockpit size may be altered to fit.

Yes, the Birder makes it cockpit and weight wise, but I worry the apparent higher freeboard will give me a similar wind issue, and the speed, handling, and sea keeping ability will not be as good as the Diva as Birder is a bit wider with a good bit more wood on the water. More of a easy going pond/quiet water boat than a moderate coastal cruiser/river runner. Then again Graham thinks speed/efficiency in most all craft he designs. Maybe those with mixed conditions paddle time in the Birder would jump in. R

I have 2 Birders- the standard 13 footers, not the Birder II. My two weigh 34 pounds, and are glassed on the bottom. Great little boats for paddling, fishing out of, etc. But in winds I have some trouble keeping up with kayaks with more waterline, I don't think the Birder would do what you want given your size. The Birder II might though as it's the same length as the Diva.

As to damage on the Birder- it's built with 4MM Okume and has a single layer of 10 Oz glass. Would be up to you as to how tough it was. I use mine in oyster shell waters and haven't punched any holes yet. But I'm not hitting things at any speed either.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Birder II.

I like the large cockpit and use it as a solo paddler.

I paddled mostly on a inland lake with a lot of power boats. A lot of chop and cross waves.

I had no problem with that. I added a keel (3/4 x 1) most of the length. It tracks straight as an arrow.

However it does not turn very well for narrow water travel.

My only companion was a son-in-law with a 12' kayak. I had no trouble paddling wtih him for several hours.

I don't know what it would be like with experienced paddlers competitive kayaks.

Tom D.