AWESOME photo!

Kudzu

We have a large colony of gray bats that use a cave on river as a nursery. The only access is by water and it is popular place to gather in the summer and watch the bats emerge. Last night was a full moon and three of us paddled down to watch the bats. It's early enough in the year only two power boats where there.

It's a lot of fun to sit and watch the bats. Often times you would swear they are going to hit you the fly so close to you.

Phil captured this amazing image that I just had to share! Be sure and open it up to see the detail.

post-152-0-37915600-1333801617_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wow! That's a great shot of a bat flying. I love bats.

We had bats in our bedroom walls, but our bats here are quite a bit smaller than that one. The Mexican Fruit Bat is a mouse-sized bat that, like all bats, forages starting at dusk. They also have a very active social life that starts around 2:30 AM, when they return to the nest and party like college kids. I had to get rid of them because I was jealous of anything getting that much more action than I was. The solution was to hang bird netting over their entrance that descended about a foot down from it; when bats fly out, they fly down, But the netting prevents them from flying back into the space. Then you seal up the space, and the bat problem is solved.

I never got anywhere close to that good a picture of them flying out at dusk.