Spindrift 12 questions

Hi Jim,

I am almost finished building mine. 6 sheets of 6mm ply and very little timber. The timber list that comes with the plans is totally wrong, sizes and amount needed.

So I have a lot of left over timber. Note to the designer to have a look at the cutting list that you send out with the plans for the Spindrift 12 cat rig to ensure that it is correct. Don't bother asking the designer any questions, as I have asked questions on 6 or 7 occasions by email with absolutely zero reply over the last 6 months. Pretty slack if you ask me. Having built 5 boats in the past these plans are by far the worst I have seen, but the boat is turning out great. Every designer should study from James Wharram as to how to draw up plans so that they are easily understood and accurate as well. Hope this helps.

Max

???? Are you sure you are using the correct email address? B and B did make an address change not to very long ago. Good email address is-

designergraham@gmail.com

and that works.

The phone number is on the website, and having known Graham personally for a good many years now, I'm thinking somewhere the wires got crossed. He's ALWAYS been totally open about answering questions, to anyone who asked. I've seen him sit on a beach and draw sketches in the sand to help someone understand a point.

I've also sat and watched him totally redo a set of CNC files because the cuts were .001 off from what he wanted.

I've built 6 boats from his plans, from a Minipaw to a Princess 22 plus had a custom design done for amas for a tri I was building, and found the plans and personal responses to be excellent.

If the cut list is incorrect, once he knows, I'd bet my house he'll fix it.

• Like 1

Hi Jim,

I am almost finished building mine. 6 sheets of 6mm ply and very little timber. The timber list that comes with the plans is totally wrong, sizes and amount needed.

So I have a lot of left over timber. Note to the designer to have a look at the cutting list that you send out with the plans for the Spindrift 12 cat rig to ensure that it is correct. Don't bother asking the designer any questions, as I have asked questions on 6 or 7 occasions by email with absolutely zero reply over the last 6 months. Pretty slack if you ask me. Having built 5 boats in the past these plans are by far the worst I have seen, but the boat is turning out great. Every designer should study from James Wharram as to how to draw up plans so that they are easily understood and accurate as well. Hope this helps.

Max

Hi Jim,

Max

Somehow I think you must be talking about someone else other then the B*B group. While they constantly have fourteen fingers going in that many directions with their client=plan-work schedule, I doubt that you were ignored for six months. Contact them by phone, especially in the evening time, even if you leave a message because he personally is working like a one armed paper hanger in his work related shop and CNC barn, even with a four legged assistant glued to his side keeping him going in the right direction. Cheers

• Like 1

Having built 5 boats in the past these plans are by far the worst I have seen, but the boat is turning out great. Every designer should study from James Wharram as to how to draw up plans so that they are easily understood and accurate as well. Hope this helps.

I have plans from a couple of different designers, and I find the B&B plans quite good, a higher quality than others. Have all your builds been from James Wharram?

• Like 1

When I see something like this on any subject, I wonder just what went wrong and with whom. Graham's plans are excellent and constantly updated to take care of the inevitable errors that creep into any designer's work. Most designers can't say that. I can't imagine that all plans from other designers are superior since that has not been my experience over almost 50 years of working on and building boats. Many small boat designers do excellent work on thier plans and B&B is one of them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Max, I am having real doubts about you. I built my S12 a couple of years ago and did not find anything amiss with the plan set or the BOM. Graham and Carla have always been available except when that last hurricane nailed them. I have spent time on the phone with both of them, more than any other designer has done with me. My S12 was my 6th boat using the stitch and glue method. I have built other kinds, such as lapstrake and the Stevenson's Amphora, as well as refurbished several of the big plastic boats.

• 2 weeks later...

I will join the parade praising Graham, Carla and their team. They have both have been very responsive in every way. I am currently (very slowly) building my second B & B design and bought the 1st kit from Graham of his Marissa.

There were a couple of problems in the beginning and they were quickly resolved in an excellent manner.

I will say, I only have the highest praise for Graham.

Dale

CS17

Marissia Salty (under const)

To flog a dead horse, I would add that Graham's understanding of his boat's and kits seems amazing. I had an issue with my transom that he diagnosed with a phone call and a photo, then reached out to me to point out, that while it was unlikely, it could be a second issue, and gave directions on how to check for the issue and how to fix it.