#1 Steve W

Steve W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:20 AM

Four questions today.

1. I bought a couple of Armstrong hatches from B & B. I'm going to install them in the seat tank tops for easy access to the tanks. I'm thinking I should at least double up the 6mm plywood in the hatch areas. Any thoughts?

2. The plans for the seat don't seam to show if they are glassed in. I have them installed and filleted, but I can't decide if they should be glassed. The plans and construction pictures do not make it clear as to what should be done.

3. I'm at the point I need to start epoxy coating some stuff. I bought my epoxy from B & B. I read that the surfaces should have three coats. Do I put a coat on, and then wait until it kicks and recoat (I did this on the centerboard trunk interior and it is pretty rough)? should I let it fully harden, sand and then recoat?

4. In the areas I plan to fair, should I coat with clear first, and then add fairing compund, or should I just fair it first and add the three coats tot he finished fairing?

I know I ask a lot of questions, but its my fist S & G. I've learnd so much already I'm already looking at plans for the next build.

Take Care,
Steve

#2 Steve W

Steve W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

I just found the answer to question 3 (thanks PAR) a few questions down.

#3 PinoyPiper

PinoyPiper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Website
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

1. I put my hatches on the sides not the tops, used a 5" hatches, also used 5mm ply for the sides and 9mm for the sea tops, (yes our plywood here is undersized)

2. taping the seams of the seats work for me. I forgot to tape the aft end of the seats on my cs17 and it was only filleted on there and that seam cracked after a couple of outings.

3. what you said... :)

4. by clear you mean epoxy yeah? two coats, then fairing compound.
Roy Espiritu
Spindrift 11N - Ceol Beag
Core Sound 17 #224 - Maldita

#4 Steve W

Steve W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

Thanks Roy. the armstrong hatches are prety nice, and the access to dry storage would be sweet, but they are big! I'm a little unsure as to what to do. Putting the hatches on the faces means access won't be very convenient, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

Take Care
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users