• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jit50

jit50

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:50 AM

I've decided that I'd like to glass my cockpit to resist abrasion. The problem is that the epoxy from filleting and taping cured long, long ago. I know I need to sand (and maybe wash) to remove blush. How much sanding? Just enough to scratch the surface, or do I really have to "dig" into the surface? What about those tight areas where it is next to impossible to get in and sand? Bottom line ... what is the process for applying fiberglass to a cured epoxy surface?

#2 Hirilonde

Hirilonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts
  • LocationCharlestown, RI

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:59 AM

You want the entire surface well scuffed up and very clean and dry. No digging required. You are relying on a secondary or mechanical bond to the old epoxy. Anything that interferes with the new epoxy grabbing on has to go. Smooth surfaces, blush, oil, paint, dirt or any other contaminant will compromise the bond.

Is this a used boat? Or just a later thought for a new build?

Dave Finnegan

1967 Pearson Renegade  "Hirilondë"

Spindrift 9N #521 -  many KudzuCraft SoF kayaks

#3 jit50

jit50

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:13 AM

This is definitely a new build ... an oops, I wish I had glassed the cockpit moment.

#4 hokeyhydro

hokeyhydro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationEast BugSplat, NC (New Bern)

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

"mouse" sanders are good for tight areas. I would hit it with #60 or #80 grit, scuff unreachable areas with a Scotchbrite pad, and go for it.

#5 Tom Lathrop

Tom Lathrop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

I've decided that I'd like to glass my cockpit to resist abrasion. The problem is that the epoxy from filleting and taping cured long, long ago. I know I need to sand (and maybe wash) to remove blush. How much sanding? Just enough to scratch the surface, or do I really have to "dig" into the surface? What about those tight areas where it is next to impossible to get in and sand? Bottom line ... what is the process for applying fiberglass to a cured epoxy surface?

Where is all the abrasion coming from? Never had an abrasion problem in a cockpit that fiberglass would cure in almost 50 years. Plain epoxy coating followed by paint is good enough.

#6 jit50

jit50

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

Thanks, Tom. Your opinion, which I respect immensley, has altered my course. It was recommended to me by another builder as a way to avoid scratching up the cockpit when dragging in crushed oyster shells. However, you've saved me some time on this project. I'm still faced with needing to prepare the cured epoxy for another couple of coats.

#7 Charlie Jones

Charlie Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts
  • LocationMagnolia Beach Texas, on Matagorda Bay

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

I'm with Tom here.

Rinse off your feet before you climb aboard!! :P :P
first row, third coast

#8 jit50