Cotton-(??) is under construction

Kudzu

I started to wait and write this after I finished them, but I want to install the sockets before I settle on the final shape and I haven't ordered any yet. That is another story but I have been waiting on a new debit card to arrive. You don't know how much you use a debit card till you don't have one!

Next issue is how to mount these securely. I think that due to the forces that COULD be applied with a strong person on the oars, that means bolting them in place. Just not sure if I want to epoxy some nuts in a counter bored hole or use some stainless well/blind nuts. Looking at options but I sort of like the idea of winged bolts so that the arms could be removed and the unit stored easier. Not a problem for me, but not everyone has a kayak trailer or a pickup.

Decisions, decisions!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any boring makes it weaker and I don't think you have too much material to begin with. Bolts, washers and wing nuts will give you a strong attachment and easy to take apart. I don't know if it is needed, but you can pad out (add thickness with wood or other material) the attachment point on the outriggers and/or frame where they mount if in doubt. Even for those who have ideal means of storing and transporting, I think the option to take them off is very desirable.

That is exactly what I was looking at Paul. I did say wing nut but really that is knob or handle. Easy to put some on to loosen or tighten if needed. I have found a couple of places that have stainless blind nuts and was thinking maybe using those with a handle and stud combo. The ones I saw had too short or a stud but I only looked at Reid. Will worry about that once I get other one built and in place.

On another note, I am going to use another name for the boat. Cotton Row has grown old very fast. Came up with a couple of good names last night I added to my list. Every time I come up with a good name I save it. Tossing around MISCHIEF and ATOM. Of course there are some other good names on the list, but Cotton Row is off the list permanent.

Outrigger are done, well as far as I can go right now. They are still held in place with some F-clamps. I need to order hardware. I think I will start sanding and varnishing everything next. It might get skinned up a little but I can touch it up before I do the final assembly.

It is supposed to be stormy but since the storms are not here, I decided to take some FROG photos (Frame On Grass). Looking at it the outriggers look sort of narrow but they are correct for a set of 8 foot long oars. I wanted to start with these and see what I have built. If I don't have any problems and decide later I want to try some 9' oars, it's just a matter of building a new set of outriggers and bolting them on to the frame.

frog-photo-11.jpg

frog-photo-2.jpg

frog-photo-3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have started on my oars. After a false start and a lot of looking around I finally settled on laminating some basswood boards into a blank. I looked at a lot of plans on the web and I am more or less following Jim Michalak's plans. His plans are for 8 foot and I am making 9'. So they will vary a little bit.

Imgp3789.jpg

With that glued up I moved over to the boat and started skinning.

Imgp3799.jpg

On this boat I just staple the skin on the inside of the coaming.

Imgp3803.jpg

I am trying a new stitch down the bow. I have seen this done before but never knew how it was done and finally just decided to try it. It's slower but I love the way it looks and I also found that I can pull the skin tight and not get those pesky pull holes either.

Imgp3802.jpg

The bow is sewn and ready for a little shrinking to pull out some wrinkles. It's going to be a couple of days before I can get back on it but it will not take long to be ready for paint or whatever finish I decide on.

Any color suggestions? I am stumped.

I will get some photos when I do the back end. But, I sew around a small rope on each side, then I pull the two together with a stitch just under the rope and the stitching is mostly hidden under the ropes when you pull it together. One thing I found was that I can actually pull the skin tight without the pull holes. I made the gap to wide near the bow and had to pull really hard to get it to close. I was really surprised that it didn't open up. I will know a little more once I do the back but I am really impressed so far. I don't think it can get any tighter but I need to shrink out some wrinkles still.

• 2 weeks later...

The boat is skinned and ready for paint. Love the new method I used for skinning. I learned a few things things not to do on the next one. This is the tightest polyester skin I have ever had. It really is drum tight It’s actually too tight near the rear of the boat.

“I think” I know what color(s) I am going to use. I had an inspiration today but that will have to remain a secret for a while yet. I am still trying to decide if that is what I want. Lets just say it’s not as traditional as I was first thinking.

Imgp3933.jpg

Next I worked on the finishing the oars. On my glued up blank, the handle had ended up bad off center somehow and I had decided to just use this as test piece to learn from. As I started to mark the final shape on the glue up I realized that the handle was right, I had just left more stock on side than the other.

So I finished the oar still thinking I would just use it as a pattern but it came out so well that I decided to just keep it. I am very happy with it and it looks like it is a keeper.

Imgp3931.jpg

Imgp3929.jpg

Next is one more oar, paint on the hull and a lot of varnishing on the sliding seat rig. Oh and of course trim around the cockpit. That will take a little time to install and varnish but it’s getting close.

• 2 weeks later...

Painting is done, except for the inevitable touch-ups that always seem to be necessary. For those of you that have guessing my inspiration was the CreamSicles.

creamsicle_lg.jpg

Desperate for something I was looking at all the paint chips in a the rack and thought about a tangerine color when it came to me. A Creamsicle! I looked at a lot of color combinations but I think I nailed this one. I had to get a friend of mine to help with finding the right creamy white but it all turned out just like I had in mind.

Keep in mind your monitor and my dark shop don't lend themselves to a good color match, but it exactly what I had in mind. A slightly creamy orange color with a definite creamy white with just a hint of an orange tint. Just looks like a Creamsicle to me!

BTW, I am seriously considering renaming it Popsicle. I am not happy with Cotton Row.

paint-1.jpg

paint-2.jpg

paint-3.jpg

Looking good.

I was concerned about the arrow. I had to lay it out by hand and was scared the width would vary but there is no noticeable flaws on either side. I am happy with it.

I will be trying a cove stripe (arrow like) and will pre-paint the color then mask with tape to paint the hull. This should yield a perfectly consistent width. To avoid bleed under the tape I will try Paul's idea of painting 1 coat of the cove stripe color after masking first, then the hull color.