Freeboard on the Spindrift?

svbreakaway

I'm about to start a Spindrift 10N. I want to use if for cruising, so possibly hauling a fair amount of stuff and/or persons. Under what could be sloppy conditions. Mostly motoring with a 4hp Johnson. But also sailing for fun. Some rowing for exercise.

I've seen a couple people suggest adding a bit to the freeboard. The post at the bottom of http://www.pinoyboat...0eb2324dd948335 suggests 2". The post at http://www.sailnet.c...478-post10.html suggests 3-4".

I was just wondering what other people here think about the freeboard on their Spindrifts?

Thanks,

Mike

I'd suggest you ask Graham. He designed it after all. Send him an email.

I know he monitors the forum and I hope he will share his thoughts for the benefit of others as well as myself. BTW, he has been quick and clear in his replies to my couple fairly trivial questions to date. I've started to note his replies on my build page ( http://svbreakaway.info/dinghy-project2.php ) -- well one of them anyway, under the "Here are the costs (so far) ..." > Mast, in case anybody is interested in the recommended mast diameter for the 10N. Let me add the other info I've received from him.

But for this one, I was hoping for the opinions of others as well. Maybe a dialog including the designer.

Mike

Big changes to a boat design are rarely without consequence. I prefer picking a boat the fits my design requirements rather than trying to reengineer a design to fit the bill.

Here is my "due diligence": http://svbreakaway.info/boat-projects.php#nt

I suspect there are tradeoffs -

a little more windage, ever slightly more weight, a little taller obstruction when stored on deck

vs.

a little drier ride, maybe more sense of security in sloppy conditions, a little more carrying capacity.

Adding 2" doesn't *seem* drastic. If others have tried it (adding a bit ot freeboard) and compared theirs with other Spindrifts, that would be nice to hear.

What makes you think it won't do what you want if built according to plans?

I think the link I posted to the fellow suggesting adding 2" is not working. Hopefully this works better:

http://www.pinoyboat...opic.php?t=2083

It seems like a nice thoughtful comment he makes and is very clearly written (so anyone interested ought to go have a look). But let me quote a portion from his post:

Note: I am adding 2 inches to the freeboard to the design. I did this on the fiberglass one I made, as did several others who built them in Panama. Most owners I know say they wish they had more freeboard...but the owners I know use them as dinghies for their larger boats, and often have to haul groceries and two adults around.... Might not be needed if you use it only for a fun boat, as getting splashed is part of the fun. If waters are choppy in your area, though, it is a modification worth considering. Be sure to think through how to do this! Simplest method to avoid mistakes is to draw the plans out full size, then continue the lines up: thus, extending the existing stem lines and the transom corners up along the existing lines. You will end up with a boat slightly longer and wider, but having the exact same shape as the original but just more freeboard.

He seems like a cool guy.

I was just looking for any experience from this forum. It looks like most here fit into the "use it only for a fun boat" category.

How did that saying go? "... Neeever mind ..."

Mike

Mike - there are lots of folks using spindrifts for the purposes you described. The most definitive answer to your questions will come from Graham. As noted above, the best way to get the answer will be to send him an email. Being a bit on the busy side, he doesn't spend as much time on the forum as some of the rest of us.

Lemme see here - Spindrift 10N is listed as carrying 2/4 souls on board. I figure that's two lardies or two average folks w/pair of average kids which roughs out to 450 lbs +. If adding 2" freeboard makes you happy, go ahead, but as others mentioned - contact Graham for his input. Figure 2" above spec adds a couple square feet of windage which in my experiance is kind of annoying if you're rowing, and can be a tad annoying while maneuvering to a dock under power.

Designwise, Graham is a genius, and I would stick with the plan . ..

I use my 9N as a tender for a cruising boat. I have rowed with 4 adults and some gear. I don't find any need for more freeboard. More freeboard probably makes rowing harder because it would require the use of longer oars to reach the water and change the proportion and hence the leverage. More freeboard probably adds windage on the hull while sailing and therefore decreases efficiency. More freeboard means it stacks taller on deck which could cause several issues. I don't see any advantage to more freeboard, but several disadvantages. I surely wouldn't add any without consulting Graham.

I agree with most everything that was said except the "genius".

I compromised on the freeboard just as described above, weight, windage, stowage on deck, visibility from the helm. I do not think that a bit more freeboard would hurt the boat if the negatives do not bother you.