Spindrift 12 Cat Rig

Max Headroom

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has built a Spindrift without the keel? I can't see that it would offer much in performance or strength. Also why do all of the designs have an offset center board? All of the boats that I have built in the past have their center boards in the center of the boat and passing through the keel. Just wondering your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Max.

Max, the keel plays a vital role. With the keel batten it forms a T-beam making the bottom much stronger and stiffer for a verry little additional cost. It protects the the plywood seam. It helps the boat track better. With a metal shoe it will significantly decrease your bottom maintenance. To plant the centerboard in the center would significantly increase the building complexity and weight -ie wider keel batten to fight the splitting tendency of the board slot. Ditto for the keel. And to what advantage? None in terms of performance. I can't argue the visual - most of us are OK with it. Think of it as having extra room on one side of the boat :) . PeterP

If you don't drag your dinghy onto beaches like I do, I don't see why you need a skeg. :)

I also wondered why centerboards are offset in all B&B designs. Than I asked why not? the CLR on hobie cats are not in the middle either. so position doesn't really matter... especially on small boats :)

With the keel batten it forms a T-beam making the bottom much stronger and stiffer

is there a keel batten on the S12? I don't remember one on the S11

There is none on the 9. This makes a nice smooth bilge which is easy to bail and clean. I am sure Graham figured it didn't need one for strength. I know mine suffers nothing for lack of it.

The keel and skeg make a huge difference when rowing, not sure how much when sailing. Olin Stephens thought the Blue Jay and Lightning needed one. As to protecting the bottom I did just as Peter mentions by adding a bronze half oval shoe. I beach mine all the time, drag it up onto a dock, and I touch up my bottom paint every other year. It must be effective.

The off-set daggerboard bothered me when I first studied the plans. I never heard of such a thing as anything to do with underbody shape being off-center. I got over it really quick after sailing it and realizing that the unbroken keel is much less likely to get hung up and damaged beaching and that I noticed no difference in performance between tacks.

No one should blindly do anything. But you are going to have a hard time proving Graham's details are not well thought out and sound.

There is none on the 9. This makes a nice smooth bilge which is easy to bail and clean. I am sure Graham figured it didn't need one for strength. I know mine suffers nothing for lack of it.

ah... mine is the nesting version, no need for keel batten on those I suppose :)

The offset daggerboard is a non-issue. The boat doesn't know the difference. Actually, the continuous keel w/ the offset daggerboard has better strength & better water flow along it than one that has a section cut out in the middle. The daggerboard's job is to prevent/reduce side-slip. It can do this even if it is clear to one side of the boat. Many boats around have lee boards - one on each side that are adjustable like a daggerboard - which do the job just fine.

One more observation. The reason I got rid of my O'Day daysailer was the centerboard was in the center. Whenever I beached it sand and shells would get up in there and lock it in place. I actually made a little metal tool just to go under the boat and use it to pull the centerboard down.

I have had absolutely no problems with my CS 17 offcenter board. Also the small keel allows some sailability with the centerboard completely up. In like sailing in 8" of water.

Dale