Stevenson Vacationer Plans Updated?

epoxy15

I'm brand new to this forum. For many reasons, I've decided to revisit Vacationer plans I bought in 2006. Somewhere on the net I read that the plans are not entirely accurate. I've emailed Stevenson with no response. If they have been corrected, I can spring for a new set of plans. Any Response? I understand the limitations of unballasted sailboats so we don't need to go there. I have built boats before, repaired too many and am looking for a simple build to get me on the water. Looking forward to your responses.

Charles

Of the designs available for a moderate size cruising sloop (this is the most popular size of all the offerings), the Vacationer wouldn't be one of the easiest builds out there, mostly because of the building technique. As to plans updates, I'm not sure, though the common issues have been addressed on a sister forum (BYYB.org) and several options exist for most of the concerns you might have.

Mike Stevenson might chime in; he pops in from time to time. The BYYB.ORG site is a good one as more of the Stevenson Projects folks gather over there.

I don't think the plans have been updated since 2006, but I remember that either the Weekender or Vacationer plans had the folding mast and cockpit drain plug incorporated into the plans not too long ago. Something like that.

I built a Weekender, the little sister to the Vacationer, and I think its the perfect size for a little day sailer with style. Very fast to set up and launch; I was often in the water in 15 minutes (rig, launch, tie up and park the truck). The Vacationer may take a bit longer. I'm not sure the extra size of the Vacationer is worth the material cost and extra time to build, as it still doesn't provide headroom in the cabin, etc.

Not sure about Stevenson status or plan updates but here is a link to some of my Vacationer build pics. I had great fun with her but she is not easily rigged for day sailing (heavy mast and lines aplenty to sort out with the gaff) and it was a bit cumbersome to rig and launch solo because of her size. Very fast sailer and would ghost along on no breeze at all.

Hope this helps with you decision.

https://picasaweb.google.com/106668203767680037177/VacationerWeb?authkey=Gv1sRgCOK4_K_u4azLzQE

001.JPG

We had a Weekender a Pocket Cruiser and a Vacationer here in NE Ohio at one time, plus my observations at a couple of BYYB Fleet events: PC's were always first on the water followed closely by the Weekenders and then much later by the Vacationers. Maybe Vacationer builders are a slower bunch by nature :blink: but I think that it has more to due with the size of the rigging and the copious amounts of line to tangle. My recollection is that 45 mins-1 hr was an average rig time on the Vacationers. That said if I had a summer cottage or some where to dry dock the boat where it could stay rigged I would probably still own her.

The bow sprit does make a great handle and docking device. It is also great incentive for power boaters to leave you a little elbow room at the ramp (woop woop raming speed capt.)

Acctually there was an issue with lofting the deck's, i cant look for it now as I am at work but i do have a revised pic of the deck lofting on my website brisboatyard.com I will see if i can get it on here for ya later today.

Brian.

ok let me see if i can post this here.

loftdecl.jpg.jpg

there that is the deck fix . I changed quite a few things on my build though.