SEWING

P Doug (WA)

It would work ok. the wax in the sinew may cause problems. I used fly line backing. i found that after the skin was all shrunk good that taking a heat gun and runnin down the seam really tightened it up and i think look better. If this was done on sinew the wax would melt and run. i even had to be carefull when ironing over the lashings and the wax would melt out into the fabric.

Lots of folks us sinew and it is fine. You probably will not have a problem with adhesion, finishes seem to just span across the stictches. But melting wax is a problem. I have learned to iron around any lashings on the frame, stitching shouldn't be a problem unless you are using a heat gun which I do not recommend.

I have some samples on my desk from supplier, I am still looking for a supplier for a suitable thread to sew with.

I found it to work really well. Any line made with "Spectra" will be really strong for it's weight and size. The Volvo 70s and most high performance racing boats use it instead of stainless steel for standing rigging. It is even becoming affordabe for all to use and will likely replace metals all together soon.