epoxy ply

drednought

I was thinking how strong is epxoy ply is compaired to other materials in boat building and found this on the net,very interesting.

Better resistance to stress - Wood is the most resistant to constant direct force... the kind like the structure of a boat gets due to the pressure of the water on the hull. And the faster the boat goes, the heaver the force is. One well-known test was done on various materials to find out how well they hold up under constant pressure. Each material was put under direct pressure for 1 million cycles for 30 hours at a time.

• Straight Fiberglass kept only 22% of original strength
  • Aluminum kept 37% of original strength
  • Wood with epoxy kept 64% of original strength.

G'day Chris,

I recently conducted comparitive tests of various species of plywood and about to conduct tests on plywood with various types of fibreglass.

In regards to the plywood itself test, I was actually surprised with the results, particulary the advertised densitys compared with "real" results. Also, in regards to the bending strength and Modulus of Elasticity (or stiffness), here to was a huge difference between the various species of plywood.

I hope over the Xmas break to finalise my testing and maybe publishing the results here, or on our website

regards

Mark