Painters

Hirilonde

I like the descriptions of the different ways to make them decorative. I will likely do something a little fancy as I like decorative rope work. But I can't find anything in the book about locating the holes in the skin or how to drill them. If they are too low, the strain on the loop will be mostly on the skin and I would assume you want most of it on the bow section of the frame. I would think a heated awl type device would be best so as to fuse the weave as the hole is made? Any advice on location and method would be appreciated.

That is because I just eye ball them. I have a longish drill bit and I come back just far enough that it will drill through and come out the other side gunwale. That is how I locate mine.

There is nothing critical about location, it is really just personal preference. I drill mine in the middle of the gunwale so that there is not risk of the wood breaking because I do sometimes use mine to tie off on the car as a secondary line.

I drill my holes before skinning than I just take a hot knife and open the hole, insert cord and fill around it with Lexel. I just put wood toggles on this one last night. They are safer in big water than a loop. You hand doesn't get caught if the boat is rolled in a wave. Not an issue here, It was just quicker honestly.

• 3 years later...

First off, the term painters can be deceptive.  Normally it means a line for tying a boat to something so that it doesn't get away or so it follows you being towed.  On kayaks it is a handle, usually of line at either end for carrying or tying to.  I ended up playing around with wood and shapes for making the handles.  But there are so many decorative knots and weaves that can be used as well.  Some of these patterns and knots can be integrated by a creative and motivated person............

https://www.google.com/search?q=decorative+knots&biw=1920&bih=960&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=cmzjVPrTNceZNrPQgZAC&sqi=2&ved=0CCoQsAQ