Balanced Lug

Terry Dunn

• 2 weeks later...

I used a balanced lug rig on my Goat Island Skiff made from poly tarp. Worked great but I did end up with a couple of lessons learned. I started out with a blue tarp like the one in your picture and the wind quickly shreaded it. The other problem was the double face tape I used didn' t adhere for long. When I remade the sail I used the heavier white tarp and after I finished the edges I got a friend with a heavy duity sewing machine to stitch all around the sail through the double face tape. It lasted until I sold the boat, about a year without any problems. I found with money short poly tarp wasn't a bad choise.

W

W,

Thanks for the info. I stitched my blue sail. It is intened as a prototype and I was going to wait until I try it out in the spring. Can't wait so I ordered some white polytarp. I am considering 2 100 sq ft sails on my CS 20. Kinda a foolish thought as I would probably end up sailing reefed 80% of the time. They would probably be similar to the size on your GIS. I enjoyed seeing a GIS on the Texas 200 this year. Very pretty.

Do you know my cousin Jerry B. in Shelton?

Ilnadi,

The polysail site is a great site. I feel a bit guilty I did not buy one of their kits. Since I am stitching all the way and have a lot of the other stuff included in the kit I just went a different direction.

Thanks,

Terry

How do you intend to rig it? Like the Goat Island skiff? That seems to be about as simple and effective as it can be (sorta). There are a lot of subtle little things that combine to make that work.

Have you done all the math to assure yourself the center of effort is the same as for the designed sails?

I'm curious to see how this turns out. From what I can tell, they are simple to rig and seem to perform well.

I do intend to rig like the Goat Island Skiff. I will probably get some of the subtle little things wrong at first.

On my CS 20 the center of effort on the designed sails is further aft of the masts then the balanced lug shown. But the main on the designed sails is larger than the mizzen. With balanced lug sails the same size the center of effort comes out close to the designed sails center of effort.

The sail in the picture I posted will not work because the foot is too long and the main and mizzen would interfere. I am making the foot shorter and the leach and luff a little longer. Recalculate ... looks like it will work assuming 1/2" to foot scale drawings I did are correct.

Today's plan is for 76 sq ft sails. I though a bit bigger would be fun. My wife thinks a bit smaller would be more fun.

Any suggestions regarding the thickness of the boom and yard?

By all means......go larger!! :) (with a deep reef)

Since you are rigging like the GIS, might as well go to the source:

http://www.storerboatplans.com/GIS/GISRigging.html

Note the emphasis on downhaul tension. It is stressed.....stressed.....that the #1 most important factor affecting performance with this rig is downhaul tension. Described in some sections as "brutal". Figure on 2 or 3 part tackle in your downhaul to be able to tension this up.

On working up the correct spar taper, If all else fails, you could contact Michael or simply buy the GIS plans and use the spars as designed. My guess is you are going to come out nearly the same as the GIS as far as sail area and location are concerned. Operating from plans, you are not guessing.

On my CS 20 the center of effort on the designed sails is further aft of the masts then the balanced lug shown. But the main on the designed sails is larger than the mizzen. With balanced lug sails the same size the center of effort comes out close to the designed sails center of effort.

Today's plan is for 76 sq ft sails. I though a bit bigger would be fun. My wife thinks a bit smaller would be more fun.

Terry,

Am I getting you correctly... you plan on two lug sails and on having the mizzen and main to be of equal size? Tha seems a clever idea to me.

Would you post the dimensions you are thinking: head/foot/luff/leach please

Do you have a scaled dwg yet of the proposed rig on the CS20 hull?

Thanks a lot for being the guinea pig ;)

TomH