Curlew too

Hirilonde

I found the wooden chafe guard too fragile just in making it so I went with brass. I think I may make another section and continue aft another 12"

DSCN0105.jpg

I still can't figure out how anyone could get their hand stuck in the loop of the painter, but I made a wooden toggle anyway:

DSCN0106.jpg

I made cradles for my roof rack and loaded up yesterday for a trial paddle today.:

DSCN0107.jpg

DSCN0103.jpg

But in spite of the forecast I awoke to pouring rain. Now I get to practice drying out my kayak instead :(

I still can't figure out how anyone could get their hand stuck in the loop of the painter, but I made a wooden toggle anyway:

Hand in the loop, big waves, boat rolls twisting the painter loop, trapping your hand in the loop. Not likely in flat water.

If I am in my cockpit I can't reach the painter, never mind get my hand stuck in it. ;)

In all seriousness, what exactly is the scenario you are concerned about? Hanging on after capsizing/falling out?

Yes, your in the water and hanging onto the boat. A big waves washes in and the boat rolls with the wave. If you have your hand in a loop it could wrap around your hand trapping you to the boat. If you never paddle in really big water it's probably not an issue but I still can't recommend a loop.

If you will notice almost, if not all, commercial Sea Kayaks come with toggle handles. It's a saftey issue.