Long Shot Blog

jerryg

The coaming was the most stressful part of the project for me.

Pretty stressful for me too, but I suspect sewing will really give me the problems. I've never sewed nothing in my life!

The coaming came out okay, but I think I may redo it. Three plys of maple (around 3/16") or so seems to make for a really firm bit of wood. Not sure how that thing will bend at all. Thinking of remaking it in cedar. But before I do I will probably try a little tensioning anyway. The other problem is that I made the coaming a bit smaller than indicated (my bad), and so it isn't really fitting properly.

Either way, I will stick with the steaming. It worked really well. I clamped it in place, waited for it to dry, then took off the clamps, applied the glue, and reclamped. Worked out pretty well, though it did need a fair amount of sanding when it was done.

Jerry, I checked your blog. Nice looking build. I enjoyed the sewing part. Just took my time and plodded along. The hardest part was just getting going. Once I started I hated for it to end. Found it pretty relaxing after I got started. I had my kayak sitting a little too low while I did it and made my back pretty sore. I'm rebuilding my strong back and am going to make it so I can change the height when I want to. Least that is the plan.

Thanks for the good info. Actually I am kinda looking forward to learning a new skill anyway. I've built a small practice frame to work on for a bit until I feel comfortable doing the boat. My boat sits at a decent height on my strongback, so hopefully it will be comfortable.

Glad you liked the blog. Thanks for the positive comments.

Have a good one.

Jerry I had the same problem with the 3/16'' maple..next time I'll rip 1/8'' strips...be sure and follow Jeff's advice on starting from the cockpit and working toward the ends " not like I did, the reverse and was still able to shrink out the excess from around the coaming ring once in "...In the running stitch I used little spring clamps pinching the fabric together along the center deck beam sewing the running stitch was easy...you'll be amazed once you get started at how easy it is...

• Like 1

I have been looking at something and hesitated to say anything. I don't want to look like I am picking on Jerry! This morning I realized I am not doing Jerry or any future builders any favors by not pointing this out.

When I looked at the photo of the frame I instantly spotted a couple of thing I would suggest you change.

post-152-0-60063600-1334664691_thumb.jpg

First thing I notice is that the fantail is wider than the stringers, or at least they look it in the photo. When I drew the plans I left it large so the builder could fit to to the frame. Assuming the photo is right if you don't trim this you are going to have a big bulge when you skin it. I strongly suggest to everyone, pull something like an t-shirt material over the frame and check all the intersections for bumps and bulges before you skin

Also, I drew a straight line along the stringer over the fantail. You can see how the fantails sort of bulges out past this imaginary line. I think the boat would look much better if you trimmed this so that it makes a smooth transition and if you stand in front of the boat and look back the boats lines 'flow' smoothly. You could take a batten and bend it around to get a 'fair' curve.

In Jerry's defense, I have realized that builders have problems in this area. Over time I have realized that I can actually draw these parts to the finished size with good results. As I can I am going to back and revising older plans like Long Shot.

• Like 1

Woodman: Great info. Thanks. I see we agree about the maple, and I really like the idea of using some small clamps to hold things together as I sew. Makes sense.

Jeff: Don't worry about picking on me. I have a pretty thick skin. More importantly, I know I am just a beginner. Building this boat is my most complex woodworking project to date (certainly in terms of size) and all advice and critiques are welcome. It is the way I learn. I have been using an old t-shirt to stretch over the boat and did notice the bulge at the stern but assumed that was normal. Your suggestion is very good and I will reshape the tail to fit the stringers. Thanks for taking the time to comment, Jeff. I really mean it.

Glad you took as I meant it. ;) I realize everyone doesn't have the eye for detail that I do. No one is more critical of my work than me! I spot every flaw, I have just learned not to point it out because most don't see them. I am very hesitant to point out mistakes in someone else's work. But I kept looking at this and was afraid once you go it skinned it would really stand out and I would wish I had said something. Everything else looked good so I figured I better point this out.

• Like 1

I think most of us are here to learn and appreciate you all with more experience pointing out things to look for and ways of improving. I didn't even notice what Jeff saw. Your experienced eye is a big help. Hope you well feel free to give me advice where your feel I can use it, I sure can see some things on the one I just completed, I well work to improve on on my next build.

I used 1/8" maple and still had to use hot water (steaming shortcut) to bend it. Nothing wrong at all with using thicker and steaming it. As long as you get the seams tight and the shape correct you win. You could probably get away with 2 laminations if you used green oak and steamed it. I insist on using epoxy, so I don't think Jeff's heat gun method would work as it might kick the epoxy and sabotage the bond.

Looking good Jerry. Take your time learning to sew it and I bet it comes out as nicely as the frame.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Well, I managed to get a great deal done this month, though not as much as I had hoped.

For those interested, I did a major update to my blog today with lots of pics.

http://yoyobuildsanakyak.blogspot.ca/

For those not interested, here is some eye candy.

post-960-0-65535300-1337794966_thumb.jpg

post-960-0-46485100-1337794968_thumb.jpg

post-960-0-24785100-1337794970_thumb.jpg

Looks like all that's left is to paint it and see if it floats!

Jerry, really looks nice. Great sewing job. You sure did a much better job on the sewing that goes inside the coaming than I did. What did you decide on color? going with the clear. I sure thought about it on mine, but finally decided against it. No reason, just color would hide mistakes easier.

What did you decide on color? going with the clear. I sure thought about it on mine, but finally decided against it. No reason, just color would hide mistakes easier.

I was going to go with clear, but I think I have changed my mind as well and for the same reason! Paint will cover those mistakes better for sure. Probably go with white, or perhaps powder blue.

Thanks for the comment.

Hey Woodman: Thanks for kind words. You are so right, there are going to be many more kayaks in this paddler's future. It was a real fun project.

Hi Doug: Thanks for stopping by. Perhaps I did worry too much. I know the next build will go much more quickly and effectively. Now I have to figure out where I am going to keep all these boats!

Jerry

Perhaps I did worry too much. I know the next build will go much more quickly and effectively. Now I have to figure out where I am going to keep all these boats!

You don't know how many times I have heard something similar to this. Wasn't that hard was it? And keep in mind that the Long Shot or any of my multi-chined boats are probably the hardest one to build too.

Hi Jeff,

You are so right. I know that I made many mistakes on this first build, but they will be easily avoided on the next build (which will be a new boat for my wife, though I'm not sure which one yet).

No question that the biggest challenge was the coaming, but also I have a much better understanding now how to build it next time. The sewing required some practice, and next time I will use a different thread, but that too can be easily corrected.

Perhaps the thing that I didn't really understand at the beginning, was how important the depth of the notches in the frames were to the overall look of the boat. I will take more time on the next build to get them right, and to use a piece of fabric to constantly check the lines.

I have a feeling that I could probably now build a boat from start to finish in around 10 days or so, if I could work on it full time, which is freaking fantastic.

Love your boats, Jeff, and your build technique. I may try other build techniques in the future but this was hands down the best way to start.

Plus my wife loves the boat too. She didn't want me to cover it 'cause she thought the frame was the most amazing thing ever.

And a special big thanks to everyone here on the forum. Couldn't have done it without you guys.

Paddle on, dudes!

Jerry

• 1 month later...

It floats!

Well, I launched the boat yesterday.

I ended up painting it blue with Tremclad, since it is about the only exterior oil-grade paint left in Canada. I was going to go two-tone, but decided to keep it easy for the first build.

post-960-0-19187100-1341072313_thumb.jpg

The only thing left to trim up are the painters, which I will do later on this week.

Here's another pic of the boat with its proud builder.

post-960-0-19835900-1341072318_thumb.jpg

And lo and behold it floats!

post-960-0-56917900-1341072315_thumb.jpg

For those interested I have a more pics and some videos on my blog. Here is a video of the launch,

I'd like to offer a real big thank you to everyone here who tolerated my noob questions, was gentle with their critiques, and gave me the best advice possible. Really guys, I couldn't have done it without you. Much appreciated.

Now to get to work on my next building project!

Peace.